Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best method to check for exhaust leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best method to check for exhaust leaks?

Long story short, I was driving home from work the other day and noticed the car was "chugging" when accelerating (not at WOT), I pulled in the garage and could hear an EXTREMLY loud tapping sound. I know my valvetrain makes alot of noise with my setup, but this was noticably louder. I only have ~500 miles on my new setup and ~10 WOT runs on it. I am taking it easy until I felt it was broken in. My exhaust BANGS hardcore - plan on addressing that today/this weekend also.

The next morning, I went to start it and it was idling like $hit, so I backed it back into the garage and took the winter beater

Started my troubleshooting this morning and got this code:
P1153: Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) insufficient switching bank 2 sensor 1

Original thread here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/301956-front-valve-cover-breather-started-smoking-loud-tapping-sound-also.html

Last edited by MeanWS6; 04-08-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One method that works pretty well is to use a 3 foot section of rubber hose, like an old piece of garden hose. It is flexible enough to position it near any cylinder, and when the engine is running you can listen to that specific area. Best of all it will allow you to isolate any background noise.

Just remember to be careful not to position it near your serpentine belt.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually where the leaks are you will see its black around the area.