Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmasters dont flow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flowmasters dont flow.

I've got 2 3" exhaust pipes coming down from 2 1/2" header connection piece. I just wanted to ask when i get the longtube headers, do i need to go with 2 1/2" connection piece or 3" (makes sense?) for more flow. Currently I have 2 Flowmasters and wow they're loud. I read somewhere they dont flow worth of crap is that true? I know that borla flows pretty good..anything better than borla out there? I dont really car how loud the car is because its already getting on my nerves and i cant drive in my neighborhood at night

What kind of power increase should i expect from 3" headers and borla mufflers if currently car makes about 300whp

What is the BEST exhaust setup possible for most WHP? I'm running L98 with cam and a few more mods
Old 04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best flowing mufflers are of a flow through design. Certain borlas like the x1, magnaflow mufflers and dynomax bullets are all flow through. They all flow equally.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

glad you finally realized crapmasters don't flow worth a damn.

chambered mufflers flow pretty well also, and sound great. ie sweet thunders, stainless works, the likes.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Launching!

i have flowmasters 2 chambered...no clue what that means
Old 04-08-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

I was a Flowmaster believer for a long time. But now I know they are crap. I love my Dynomax muffler. You could tell how crappy the Blowmaster was because the muffler would get incredibly hot, like really really really hot (I melted my shoe on it once). And it would change colors right at the inlet from all the heat building up because of how much of a bottleneck that crap is. But now I have a muffler you can look straight through. Sweet!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Launching!

How much are the gains from installing high flowing mufflers on true dual cars?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

There's a huge difference in a crossflow Flowmaster like the 80 Series and a straight through one chamber design. The Flowmaster Delta Race Series one chamber muffler flows quiet well. He's not asking about the Flowmaster cat-back which has given Flowmaster such a bad name here on LS1tech, he's asking about a true dual setup.

If you are currently using two chamber Flowmasters then you would pick up several horsepower by switching to a straight through design such as dynomax. I must warn you that any straight through design is going to be loud, moreso than your two chamber mufflers you have now.

I would probably go with a set of 3" chambered mufflers from Sweet Thunder or Stainless Works. Both are reputable companies and both sell a very similar chambered muffler.