Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeal-Be-Gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Squeal-Be-Gone

Had a terrible squeal under the hood last week. It got worse and eventually wouldn't quit. What a horrible sound to come out of such a beautiful car.

Tracked it down with the help you fine gentlemen. I suspected it was the idler pulley and used a length of 5/16" oil line as a listening tool. Sounded like it but I wasn't 100% sure.

First, I took off the airbox lid and MAF, then the big serpentine belt to make sure it was one of the pulleys on it that was involved and not something else. Started the car for a bit and heard nary a peep. Tried spinning all pulleys to check for noise but there was none.

Removed the tensioner pulley and checked the bearing. Didn't appear very loose. It's a sealed bearing so I didn't screw with it. Removed and checked the idler pulley bearing. Didn't appear very loose. It's a sealed bearing so I didn't screw with it. Neither felt very dry or loose. Put them back on. Put the belt back on. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEAL!!!!

I looked at the website of my favorite parts store (Advanced Auto Parts) for a suitable replacement and found the following:

Dayco
Tensioner Pulley - #89015 - $16
Idler Pulley - #89007 - $15

Bought both just to be sure without making another trip. Changed the Idler pulley first. No squeal. No noise from the tensioner pulley. Might take back the one I bought, might keep it for later.

Problem fixed. $15. Ten minutes. No more squeal. Miller Time.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds almost like my problem
Old 04-08-2005, 10:40 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds almost like my problem too, but I've replaced the idler, the tensioner, the tensioner assembly, the serp belt, the a/c belt, etc., and the damn noise still doesnt quit. gonna change the crank pulley soon, or get a new alternator. or both.

Its so embarassing, its louder than my magnaflow exhaust. and I have no clue what it could be. been battling the sucker for months. like a loud hiss. argh I better quit thinking about it.

Brad
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have a part number/price for the tensioner assembly? Can't seem to find it listed as a part on the Advances site.

Also, if anyone has the numbers for the belts I would need, that'd be great! I hate having the guys that work there to have to look up parts for me. Generally end up with stuff for an 82 Pinto!

Last edited by solobaric; 04-18-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

I had the same squeal, but I just changed both belts and the squeal went away. (course that was after replacing one of the pully brackets because of a service bulletin that said they caused squeal)
Old 04-18-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey 2000KC, happen to have those part numbers handy for the belts?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

I don't, I just called Oreilly auto and asked for the serpentine belt and the ac compressor belt for my make and model and they brought out the parts to me. Sorry.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by solobaric
Hey 2000KC, happen to have those part numbers handy for the belts?
K040410 (AC serpintine belt)
K060790 (Serpentine Belt)

These are O'Reilly part numbers
http://www.oreillyauto.com/B2C/condi...&description=+
Old 04-19-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a bad squeal also, we took the belts off, but it still does it, Is it the rusty tensioner down bottom with the AC belt? we didnt take that off, so it has to be that one right? its not my top tensioner. Anyone know the part for the bottom tensioner?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
I have a bad squeal also, we took the belts off, but it still does it, Is it the rusty tensioner down bottom with the AC belt? we didnt take that off, so it has to be that one right? its not my top tensioner. Anyone know the part for the bottom tensioner?
38008 (Belt Tensioner Pulley)
38041 (New Idler Pulley)

These are O'Reilly part numbers
http://www.oreillyauto.com/B2C/condi...&description=+