Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

springs but no cam??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default springs but no cam??

well..I'm spening money for mods on this car finally....
and I'm taking things in proper order...
Ported TB...headers...intake and lid next..and then a cam......but I'm thinking of buying th esprings and pushrods and some roller rockers before the cam....I have just enough in the budget to do all that....

anybody ahve any issues with just doing the springs and valvetrain stuff..with the stock cam??? gotta wait till next month for a few more bucks to do the cam and gaskets and thermostat and hptuner and Wideband o2 and oil pump...and all the other little crap you need for a cam install...

but I figured I will have a little free time..and I can afford the springs and pushrods now..so why not just go ahead and change them awhile

again....anybody see any issues with my logic??
Old 04-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not save time and money by doing the cam w/springs,pushrods etc... no point going down in there twice.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

well the point would be if he swapped the valvetrain now....when he went to swap the cam, it'd elimanate half the headache. it'd be that much easier. he wouldn't have to replace the springs and stuff when he installs the cam.

just make sure its not too much spring for the cam.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

It's really easy to pull the valve covers off so it's not like it's going to be huge PITA to do the springs and cam swap at different times. Assuming he does his own spring swap he can save a lot of headache when it comes time to do the cam swap. The springs are what takes the most time to do, it's cake to swap cams when you've already got the springs taken care of.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say wait and do it all at once. If you do just springs now, you will have to take all the rockers off twice, instead of once. Not good on aluminum threads, and twice the risk of breaking a rocker bolt. Those little bolts with 8 mm heads are very tight for their size. They are installed at only 22 ft-lbs, but they have Locktite holding them in. BTW, get an impact type 8mm socket to turn them with; it's easy to break a normal one.

Another thing is, it's PITA taking the passenger side coil pack off, mostly becasuse of the last bolt by the firewall. When you put the coil back back on, don't put that bolt back in. It doesn't need it, and it will 10 times easier the next time without it.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cal
I would say wait and do it all at once. If you do just springs now, you will have to take all the rockers off twice, instead of once. Not good on aluminum threads, and twice the risk of breaking a rocker bolt. Those little bolts with 8 mm heads are very tight for their size. They are installed at only 22 ft-lbs, but they have Locktite holding them in. BTW, get an impact type 8mm socket to turn them with; it's easy to break a normal one.

Another thing is, it's PITA taking the passenger side coil pack off, mostly becasuse of the last bolt by the firewall. When you put the coil back back on, don't put that bolt back in. It doesn't need it, and it will 10 times easier the next time without it.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the coil packs are already relocated...so thats not going to be a problem....
I'm getting ready to paint the valvecovers...so they will be off for a while...and I figured I could do the springs in the drying downtime....the whole rocker thread issue...um...I had my rockers on and off about a half dozen times in my old car with no problems... and theres pretty much no such thing as too much spring for the cam.....you can put too much for a hydraulic lifter...and you can put too little of a spring for a cam.... but with the standard off the shelf spring varietys for ls1's you cant put too much spring on a cam...by th eway.. I will probably be doing either the crane duals or the patriot duals on springs.
I am also planning on the crane accelerated rockers.....
I'm just making the top end bulletproof before I go to the inside
and with all of the topside stuff I want to do...I would have to chose...cam or rockers...not both at the same time....unless I wait till next month...just trying to make some good use of some downtime that I will have this month anyways....
Old 04-09-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the coil packs are already relocated...so thats not going to be a problem....
I'm getting ready to paint the valvecovers...so they will be off for a while...and I figured I could do the springs in the drying downtime....the whole rocker thread issue...um...I had my rockers on and off about a half dozen times in my old car with no problems... and theres pretty much no such thing as too much spring for the cam.....you can put too much for a hydraulic lifter...and you can put too little of a spring for a cam.... but with the standard off the shelf spring varietys for ls1's you cant put too much spring on a cam...by th eway.. I will probably be doing either the crane duals or the patriot duals on springs.
I am also planning on the crane accelerated rockers.....
I'm just making the top end bulletproof before I go to the inside
and with all of the topside stuff I want to do...I would have to chose...cam or rockers...not both at the same time....unless I wait till next month...just trying to make some good use of some downtime that I will have this month anyways....
Old 04-09-2005, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

did the vinci/crane duals and 1.8 rockers a year ago on the 99 formula with stock cam. no issues at all. just swapped the springs to the new heads in february. been there, done that, just waiting on the t-shirt to get here.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

but i did get two dynos out of it
#9 before
#11 500 miles after
#14 10 months later