Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Centerline Telstars 15x8 5.5" bs - fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Centerline Telstars 15x8 5.5" bs - fit?

Will these rims fit - I have upgraded to an LS1 rearend/brakes. Centerline will make these rims in 5.5" BS at request - but will they fit?
Old 04-10-2005, 11:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

standard size rim, not special request. The rim is really pretty small considering you can easily fit 275/50's and 26x11.5's easily on an F-body. You shoudln't be stuffing on those tires onto that small of a rim.

We also do not use the same BS...it is really too small considering a stock 8 is ~6.25-6.75...this means the rim sticks out quite a bit more then stock not being centered in the wheel well. Looks ok from the side, just from the rear it looks like there is no tire under the car, it is offset towards the outside fender.

Pick a 10 inch rim from weld or better yet if you want the best, pick our Bogarts. Weld's 8 inch rim has the same BS which is not good either.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

So go with 15x10 Weld Pro Stars with 7.5" BS for the LS1 rears?

What size 15x8" rims do you guys run?

I'm running 275/50/15 BF Goodrich Drag Radials.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see guys running 275/50/15 drag radials on 15x8 rims all of the time.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah but will the Telstars at 5.5" BS fit? And the 5.5BS is not offered off of the shelf - I had to call them. Summit and most other vendors don't list the 5.5 BS as an option. Not to say they aren't "special request" but they sure aren't wide out in the open about having this BS available.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to grind the calipers down to nothing to get them to fit. The Weld's take less grinding.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you asking do you have to grind to make them fit? On an LS1, yes (do a search). On an LT1, no. I'm currently running Telstars 15x8 5" backspace (bought them several years ago before they started offering the 5.5" backspace) with 26x10.5x15 ET Streets. I believe the common 15x8 ProStar backspace is 5.5" as well.

Summit online sure lists them as an option. Part number CLL-135807547.

Joe
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info guys - I figured that they had required grinding but I was told that the grinding required is significantly more than the Welds or Centerlines.

Summit must have just started listing the 5.5's - i'm local to them and have asked on several different occassions. Saw a post recently from cz28.com where a member mentioned the 5.5BS
Old 04-11-2005, 11:22 PM
FormerVendor

Nothing is special with the 5.5 BS, it really is too small, not to mention the rim itself is small. Like mentioned previously, the stock BS on an 8 inch rim ranges from 6.25-6.75. This is substantually larger then what you (or anyone else uses) with considering 8's. If your not sure what I mean, take a stock 8 inch rim and put a 3/4 to 1.25 spacer on your stock 8 inch wheel before you mount it and THAT is how your new 8 inch drag rim will sit.

The rim does not sit centered in the wheelwell. Sure you can stuff a 275 on it like some do, though it's just like stuffing a 315 on a 9.5 rim. Not meant for the application so why do it.

By putting such a large tire on the car (either 275's or 11.5 ET for example), since the rim is not centered correctly, it will stick out and look even worse. You may even have fender-to-tire contact problems. I tell everyone whom considers our rims, CHOOSE the tire first THEN consider the rim that is meant for the tire you want.

It's up to you, if your looking for inexpensive rims, that fit in the wheelwell area correctly, choose a weld 10 inch rim, don't choose centerline 8's OR weld 8's, they do not fit correctly due to the limited BS.

Keep in mind, when your trying to skimp on money, you give up benifits of a lighter rim and better manufactured rim such as our high-end Bogarts or even high end welds to be fair. These benifits really add up. Centerlines are the heaviest of the bunch, weld low end rims are the next. Choosing a weld 10 inch rim for example from a weight comparison to our LS1 Bogart setup rims is ~15lbs prostar to ~10.5lb Bogart. Doesn't sound like much but rotational wieght is worth 1-6 or 1-8 typical considerations...this means for every one pound of additional wheel weight its like leaving 6 to 8 lbs of static weight!! SO for each prostar you put on your car, your leaving 27 to 36 lbs of static weight on your car.

I'm not even considering appearance differences which there is no comparison.

Hopefully my explaination helps some. I see guys all the time considering weld 8's and centerline 8's but for the life of me I don't know why. Since they don't fit well (not ours...I set the Bogart BS correctly), and we are not limited to running a small tire on the car, why do it?

Even though I can set the BS correctly on our Bogarts, I NEVER recommend an 8 inch rim on a late model F-body UNLESS the class they run in limits what tire they can run...which on here and other boards, is not an issue.

Steve
SJM Mfg, Inc.
Bogart wholesale/distribution
412 508 0634
Old 04-12-2005, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

5.5" bs is a special request, but well worth it......i ran a 15x8 telstar with 5" BS for a while with 275/50s without any problems, nor did i have to grind (LT1 brakes however). my new rear draglites are also 15x8...5.5 BS, but still a 275/50. love the way it looks.

Telstars require much less grinding, if any at all than a Weld...trust me, i have ran them both

PS - Steve, why do you always put down everyone elses drag rims. Sure others arent as light, and not as eye catching, but some of us race on a budget. Given, if i could afford a set of D10s, i would be all over it, but my draglites serve their purpose and do me just fine! It just seems like you are just calling darkhorse a cheap jackass, and that he is stupid for buying a 15x8 "low end" (aka piece of ****) telstar instead of your "high end". By the way speaking of wheels sticking out past the fenderwell, my friend loves how his 17x9/17x11 RR10s DO NOT tuck in under the fenderwell, when he specifically asked for that. Car looks like some rich vato's low rider!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

LT1,

This is a long post but answers any concerns you voiced.

I have not degraded any person’s choices. I recommended weld rims for the budget racer if you read my post. I stated that they are loosing quite a bit of weight transfer when it comes to choosing an economy rim.

Furthermore, I stated that our rims AS WELL AS high end weld rims are a MUCH better choice. I did not state every other manufacture rims are bad and only ours are good. What I do not recommend is using an 8 inch rim when it is a very small rim and I see guys trying to stuff too big of a tire on it.

I mentioned that the BS options of the other 8 inch rims are a bad choice for an F-body w/stock length rear ends. NOT that the other rims are not any good We are the only ones that make a custom setup that tucks an 8 in properly…I don’t typically recommend it though as still the rim is TOO small for the standard tires that we can easily run.

I see folks complaining about guys trying to stuff a 315 on a 9.5 rim...so why are there folks including yourself stuffing a 275 tire on an 8 inch rim? Just as the 315 is recommended for an 11 inch rim, the 275 is meant for a 10 inch rim NOT an 8. Can use it, sure you can, just as guys can use a 315 on a 9.5 rim. It just doesn’t make sense. I am trying to educate each consumer as to what is recommended by manufactures and how they are meant to work correctly. I KNOW there are guys whom setup their cars from recommendations of others…many of these recommendations are not correctly setup.

I JUST had a customer call today in which I discussed the EXACT same thing I am discussing in here. HE purchased rims according to other folk’s recommendations and does not like the results. Essentially he relied on others which gave him misinformation as what you are doing. I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat, I am designing setups based on what tire manufactures suggest for each rim and build them according to the customers wants/needs and make recommendations based on facts.

I would never state others or yourself are stupid …some folks have a better understanding of specific topics then others. I have the expertise to aid folks in making the right decision…albeit using our rims or OTHER manufactures. Many times I discuss with possible clients on the phone, listen to their wants/needs and THEN tell them what items to pick that are NOT our products. MOST manufactures will not do this!! I would rather make someone meet their needs instead of selling them something they do not want/need.

Regarding you mentioning how our RR10’s were setup for a customer. Our Bogart’s can be setup by a vendor’s or customer wants…EVERYTHING is custom. IF we set them up, I can assure you they were setup correctly. If they were setup differently, we made our recommendations; the customer doesn’t have to follow them though. I am fully aware of what works and what doesn’t. IF a vendor or re-seller set them up, I cannot guarantee how they will fit. THIS is why when working directly with us; we can assure each customer they are receiving a correctly built setup. We set them up VERY similar to how you see other 9 and 11’s are setup. Especially the rears…you can only go in so far before you have to modify the inner fender well are which many do not want to do.

I’ve seen many of our rims going out against how I would set them up. I can give you a quick example, vendors setup his customer’s rims, and we recommended they not set them up the way they did…they insisted stating they felt it would be best…they did work…though was not an optimum setup …

What folks don’t understand, when we build the rims, there are a MULTITUDE of ways to build them and have the exact same backspace…you don’t just purchase our rims and ask for a 15x10 rim and say “I want a 7.5 BS” for example...Custom rims are CUSTOM, there is not a part number that you just say…I want this one.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:23 AM
FormerVendor

Btw, if the customer purchased the rims though us and I designed them, I have not heard from him regarding his dissatisfaction. This leads me to believe they were not setup by me. I have no control if someone else calls in another spec.

Our customer service it top notch. IF the customer purchased them through us and voiced his dissatisfaction, I find out exactly where any opportunities lye. Explain what other options he/she has, then try to make it right for the customer if at all possible.

We ARE all about customer service…I know we can’t satisfy everyone 100% of the time but rest assured, I can state with a high degree of certainty that we have a very high customer satisfaction rating.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

alright, sounds good....i dunno what to say....you know more than i do about wheels and ****, it just comes off to me like you put down other wheel companies while promoting yours (which you are supposed to promote them of course, how else would they sell.)

as for the RR10s, he ordered them directly from you @ SJM.....he said the only reason he didnt complain, is that he didnt want to wait for another set to be built (i know it takes a while for them to be made, not bitching there, he just didnt feel like messing with it)....but no more bitching for me, i told darkhorse what i wanted, and added my 2 cents when i prolly shouldnt have, my apologies!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:57 PM
FormerVendor

Thank you for your response. I was quite concerned as to how you felt (thus the novel I wrote to you). My objective it to inform not insult anyone. If I did, I appologize to you and anyone else whom felt the same as you did.

Regarding the RR rims, since you mentioned that I set them up, unless there was an error in the build (which I do check when they are ready to leave), they would be set at the largest backspace we can possibly do for an F-body. I CAN go deeper (i.e. another 1/2 inch), BUT if I do, the customer would have to either remove the bumpstop or modify it greatly and do quite a bit of modifying to the inner fender well area. This is something that most folks do not want to do. Another consideration is if I did go another 1/2 inch deeper, the dishing (or what others call "lip") would decrease 1/2 inch. Many folks like to see as large of a "lip" as possible.

I would hope that if any customer does have a concern that he/she does contact us so that we can verify if there was an error and/or address any of his or her discontent. When you spend quite a bit of money on something custom, you want to be happy with your purchase, not disapointed.

Hopefully, you can pass on my comments to your friend (I don't know whom it is). I would be happy to discuss this with him also if he contacts me.

Have a good day:-)

Steve

Originally Posted by The LT1 That Could
alright, sounds good....i dunno what to say....you know more than i do about wheels and ****, it just comes off to me like you put down other wheel companies while promoting yours (which you are supposed to promote them of course, how else would they sell.)

as for the RR10s, he ordered them directly from you @ SJM.....he said the only reason he didnt complain, is that he didnt want to wait for another set to be built (i know it takes a while for them to be made, not bitching there, he just didnt feel like messing with it)....but no more bitching for me, i told darkhorse what i wanted, and added my 2 cents when i prolly shouldnt have, my apologies!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

all other wheels besides bogarts suck and are going to fall apart as soon as they come off the jacks, you didnt know that
Old 04-29-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

I like Welds cause they will hold up to street duty.. Unlike the Bogarts from what I've seen.. And why pay like $1500 or whatever they are for a set of Bogarts when you can spend like $700 on Welds? Don't make much sense to me..

The Centerline Telstars will work find.. Yes you will have to do some grinding on the calipers but thats no big deal. I have a friend that is running them on his car with the 5in BS and 28x11.5 ET Streets. They don't rub at all and they only stick out about an inch or so on each side.. Looks pretty good to me.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I thought they required more grinding than the prostars? Or is it about the same?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

any centerline wheel requires less grinding than a weld in my experience. i havent ever see anyone have to grind for convo pros, and i didnt have to grind for my telstars.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

But your running LT1 rear brakes right? I've heard that the Telstars on LS1 rears requires grinding the calipers and mounts to almost nothing. I'm considering just dumping my LS1 rears and buying new LT1 hardware to get away from the trouble.

On LT1 rears the telstars fit without grinding.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

You do have to grind the $hit out of the LS1 calipers. Took me about an hour on each side and it goes all the way to the bolts that hold the caliper on!! I wouldnt have done it if I would have known that. I fit 295 50 15's on a 8" telstar and honestly it looked dumb. Alittle too much tire and they stuck out alittle too much on the sides for my liking. Everyone has their own stlye and budget though. Thats why I sold my telstars and am looking at some Bogarts for the future. Welds for now though

Anyone is more than welcome to PM me and ill send pics of the car with the telstars on

Quick Reply: Centerline Telstars 15x8 5.5" bs - fit?