Thats just Impressive!
Old 04-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an ugly situation.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn makes me think the NOS 5077 kit (whatever) is maybe the way to go... Do the NXL systems have the same type of issues? I've been thinking of adding a nitrous kit after I get a new clutch and just assumed I'd go with NX but that pic of the Z06 is going to give me nightmares.

So with a dry kit the worst that can happen is a too lean condition and too much timing and the engine goes boom, but not the car right. When you drag race drivetrain components are always at risk and I can accept that. Replacing them is just part of the game but replacing a car which the insurance company is probably going to deny a claim on is too much of a risk....
Old 04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That makes for a bad day.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Thats sucks. Thats what happens when people half *** ****. Or don't know what they are doing. I have put porbely 50 bottles througth mine and beside finding out that the silonids wont flow 200hp i have had zero problems.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Damn makes me think the NOS 5077 kit (whatever) is maybe the way to go... Do the NXL systems have the same type of issues? I've been thinking of adding a nitrous kit after I get a new clutch and just assumed I'd go with NX but that pic of the Z06 is going to give me nightmares.

So with a dry kit the worst that can happen is a too lean condition and too much timing and the engine goes boom, but not the car right. When you drag race drivetrain components are always at risk and I can accept that. Replacing them is just part of the game but replacing a car which the insurance company is probably going to deny a claim on is too much of a risk....
I use a n/x kit.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sardog46
Thats sucks. Thats what happens when people half *** ****. Or don't know what they are doing. I have put porbely 50 bottles througth mine and beside finding out that the silonids wont flow 200hp i have had zero problems.
Yours also goes directly into the cylinder not the intake manifold. Boost is looking better and better lol
Old 04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jasons kit is fine albeit the limition

This mainly comes from two problems. the first is filling the entire intake with atomizied fuel AND twice the air (N2O). The intake was NEVER ment to flow fuel and it sitts there like a time bomb waiting for a spark.

Now add to this fact the operator Error used in the operation of said system. He used it incorrectly and when a Problem came up he dugg deeper instead of lifting.

So think about it. An Intake full of explosives and all it takes it a spark, a detionation in one cylinder while the valve is open or a bad valve seat. BOOM!!

All things looked at in focus it was operator Error that burned the car to the gruond
Old 04-10-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Expensive mistake, that's for sure. Insurance would look at that and laugh...
Old 04-10-2005, 08:33 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remind me never to use nitrous.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Remind me never to use nitrous.
Or at least two of the brain cells god gave you when you do
Old 04-10-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm... Nitrous Dave's Halo kit is looking better and better... or a direct port system for a bigger shot. Man...
Old 04-10-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

After seeing that mustang go boom and hearing what Ellis said I have decided to forget NO2 even exists. The risks out weigh the gain and it only takes once.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ram-it
After seeing that mustang go boom and hearing what Ellis said I have decided to forget NO2 even exists. The risks out weigh the gain and it only takes once.
But like ellis and sardog have been saying if you know what your doing.and it is installed properly.The PROS outweigh the CONS, "IMO". What gets me is Wet nitrous Thru a dry Intake never have understood that.
wet vs dry
Nitrous FAQ
Old 04-10-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

It's not so much the dry intake thing that kills people it is lack of knowledge. lokk at all the guys on this board running single nozzle kits, and tnt kits that have never had a problem. The intake probely had something to do with it, but how many times have yuo seen top comp, or sportman or any other serius racer blow up an intake using the bottle. I cant tell you guys how many promods, blow intakes threw the hood, running juice. And blower for that matter. Whenever you add something in the performance market you are taking a risk. that is why cams, pistons, intake, carbs, whatever don't come with warrinties, cause sometimes **** JUST HAPPENS.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Where did you see the explination of what happened? That thread didn't say anything about why it happened...
Old 04-11-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to disagree with the "if you know what your doing" comments. N02 is a straight forward installation. What is uncertain is the bad valve seats or other conditions that allow the flame front to expand into the intake. With just air in the intake your risks are minimal. Introduce gas into the intake and those risks go through the roof. I'll bet you the guy with the Z06 and the post I did earlier of the Mustang installed the kits correctly and had ran them several times. Something happened as Ellis described that they were unaware of and BOOM.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ram-it
I have to disagree with the "if you know what your doing" comments. N02 is a straight forward installation. What is uncertain is the bad valve seats or other conditions that allow the flame front to expand into the intake. With just air in the intake your risks are minimal. Introduce gas into the intake and those risks go through the roof. I'll bet you the guy with the Z06 and the post I did earlier of the Mustang installed the kits correctly and had ran them several times. Something happened as Ellis described that they were unaware of and BOOM.

Or shitty tunes, or not enough saftey items. nitous is not bad! If it is used right and with some knowledge it is better than anything else. Why do you think the fastest outlaw cars all run nitrous.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

So wouldn't a dry kit prevent this from happening for the most part? You'd have unflammable air and N2O in the intake until the valve opens\closes and then mixes with the gas. The explosion takes place in the cylinder not the intake correct???

I understand what Sardog is saying but in the same event baring a VERY unfortunate accident with a wall the H\C, even blower scenerio is not going to TOTAL A CAR. I understand with Nitrous I'll be taking a risk with the motor and drivetrain components for that matter, but I don't want to risk the CAR. That guy has a 34K paper weight that I doubt insurance would consider covering.

So while a dry kit has disadvantages in Power and your depending on the PCM for enriching the fuel so if it doesn't work the motor goes boom, I'm WILLING to take that risk but seeing those pics of that car makes me sick.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why NOT to run a wet shot on an LS1