Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

A gear ratio question for you drag racers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A gear ratio question for you drag racers...

Don't ask why I am asking but do want to know.

My 3:42 gears go 135mph at redline in 4th gear.

1.) What do 3:73 gears top out at mph?

2.) What do 4:10 gears top out at mph?

3.) Would either rear gears have to make me shift to fifth gear in the quarter, if I were to run a 11.999 quarter mi run?

Thank you for the help as always.

Most of you probably know this like the back of you hand.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best thing to use to calculate what gear ratio would be best for you:

www.f-body.org/gears

I use 4.11s, and 4th gear will top out at 131 mph with a 26.1" tall tire. But that's because my rev limiter is set at 6900 rpms.

Since you're still running stock gears, stock rev limiter, and 26" QTPs when you go to the track, you'll hit your rev limiter (6200 rpms) at 117 mph.

So, if you were going to make a change in gearing, I would probably go with 3.73s, unless you plan on getting a cam that will push your power band into higher rpms, which will give you a higher mph ceiling... if that is in your plans, then I'd go with the 4.10s.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
This is the best thing to use to calculate what gear ratio would be best for you:

www.f-body.org/gears

I use 4.11s, and 4th gear will top out at 131 mph with a 26.1" tall tire. But that's because my rev limiter is set at 6900 rpms.

Since you're still running stock gears, stock rev limiter, and 26" QTPs when you go to the track, you'll hit your rev limiter (6200 rpms) at 117 mph.

So, if you were going to make a change in gearing, I would probably go with 3.73s, unless you plan on getting a cam that will push your power band into higher rpms, which will give you a higher mph ceiling... if that is in your plans, then I'd go with the 4.10s.
That was the answer I was looking for. I appreciate it Jason. So if I were planning to change the gear and go to the track for my usual annual visit I would get 3:73's from your info. I still want my best chance at a good 1/4 mi time. If that did not matter I would get the 4:10's. I wonder if the 3:73 gears make a big difference. I think they would. Just getting thoughts together.

On day selling the next modding, seriously, I do not even drink.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

gears on the street, and gears at the track are 2 diffrent worlds todd. you have to remember you are pushing alot of power and still have a stock 10 bolt. If i were you i would keep the stock gears and just try and work with what you have, and not take the risk of blowing away the reaend. i think you will be able to run 11's with the gears you have now. Just need to push the car harder at the track
Old 04-11-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

4.10's are way too much for a blower car unless you're running a 28" tire. you start rolling on the big end and need to make sure you have enough gear to get to the traps. a buddy of mine runs a 3.73 in his blower car. he is banging out 4th as he's crossing the traps, but is making about 100 more rwhp than you. you should be fine with a 3.73
Old 04-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sardog46
gears on the street, and gears at the track are 2 diffrent worlds todd. you have to remember you are pushing alot of power and still have a stock 10 bolt. If i were you i would keep the stock gears and just try and work with what you have, and not take the risk of blowing away the reaend. i think you will be able to run 11's with the gears you have now. Just need to push the car harder at the track
Your prob right. I just want to give it 3/4 of a pedal instead of a full one to get in the 11's, lol.

I can bump it in 1st (no reving) coast, then punch it and the wheels let loose at 3k rpms, below that it is a little weak, this may help break the wheels loose at 2500rpms. I should tune for more tq lower, honestly.

Right now, for the amount of racing I do I can break my 10bolt a bunch of times for the price of a 12bolt. Plus I don't have the money for one. I hear what your saying though. I just do not want to screw up the quarter completly with the wrong gear.

I am thinking I will race you at the track, line up, bump the car in first at 1500rpms to save the rear then catch up to you down the track! What a plan!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
Your prob right. I just want to give it 3/4 of a pedal instead of a full one to get in the 11's, lol.

I can bump it in 1st (no reving) coast, then punch it and the wheels let loose at 3k rpms, below that it is a little weak, this may help break the wheels loose at 2500rpms. I should tune for more tq lower, honestly.

Right now, for the amount of racing I do I can break my 10bolt a bunch of times for the price of a 12bolt. Plus I don't have the money for one. I hear what your saying though. I just do not want to screw up the quarter completly with the wrong gear.

I am thinking I will race you at the track, line up, bump the car in first at 1500rpms to save the rear then catch up to you down the track! What a plan!
Yhea now poblem todd i just won't use forth gear
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you break a 10 bolt from a roll, i have all kinds of respect for you. just put the car on tires, do a john force burn out, slip the clutch out of the hole, and hammer it when you're good and hooked. you'll have a shitty 60', put an awesome mph.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Tell you the truth todd, for the amount of racing you do i would not whange a thing. Take it to the track lick it is run it, so what if it only runs twelvs, if anyone talk smack just go ask them to compare trophy collections
Old 04-11-2005, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
if you break a 10 bolt from a roll, i have all kinds of respect for you. just put the car on tires, do a john force burn out, slip the clutch out of the hole, and hammer it when you're good and hooked. you'll have a shitty 60', put an awesome mph.
yhea that would be a great way to burn the clutch up, but i guess whatever works.

great mile per hour but shitty e.t. and thats what he is looking for.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

Tell you the truth todd, for the amount of racing you do i would not whange a thing. Take it to the track lick it is run it, so what if it only runs twelvs, if anyone talk smack just go ask them to compare trophy collections
Flexing my chest...2/3 rd's of my babies...

Can't I have everything! I like racing just hate getting my car dirty! I do want to be in the top 10 NW, kind of cool. I am hanging by a thread in last place! It just makes 6k worth of speed performance in the car better to swallow if I could run a 11.999999999. Not that it was the complete entension of the blower. I give you tons of credit, your car pulling the wheels is just the ****!

4.10's are way too much for a blower car
I have read alot about this to. I still think for the street it would be fun, most races are from rolling starts.

it works. 11.60's all night with a trap speed of 129-130. 570rwhp
I am already trying to compensate with power to get in the 11's, I may need 570 to the rear wheels, lol.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Just think of it this way Todd... with the blower from a roll on the street with 4.10s and on street tires, good luck getting traction in ANY gear.

Yes, most races are from a roll... but having the 4.10s won't help you in a street race if you're constantly smoking the tires because of the power your car puts down.

Ellis put it this way... more gear is a crutch for less power. Since you have more power, you don't need that much more gear. I think 3.73s would be plenty enough if you want to make a change.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with the basics of what has been said here, your car will run low 12s / hi 11s as it sits Todd. You want a taller gear ratio to let your power adder make the power for you. Deep gears are for guys like me that don't have the HP.

After Saturday I know some things that will help you. Run 15 psi in your QTPs. I found 17 doesn't hook as well & 13 is a little too squirrely on the top end. Then do a LONG burnout with your slicks. I mean 10 seconds of smoke in 2nd gear long. Then your QTPs should hook. A short burnout does nothing for them if you're putting serious power down & hitting them hard.

And figure out what the lowest speed is that you can go WOT in 1st gear without it bogging (i.e. rolling along at 10mph & nailing it & it stands on it's tail & shoots off). That is your target for launching. However you get there - bring it out hard, or soft, or burn the clutch, whatever - get to that point & floor it.

Reving it up & dumping the clutch with sticky slicks & stock suspension will kill your 10 bolt. And I would wind it out to 6k & shift. This gives your POS factory tach some leeway so you don't over-rev the engine. If you prefect this process and add good short shifts (WOT, lift & shift as fast as you can, WOT) your car will run the times you want.

But like I said a month ago, BEFORE you go to the track again, PLEASE take your car out to let Ellis have a peek. Just to make sure. You had one of the BAD supercharger indicators happen the last time you raced. Let someone who's been there look / listen to your car before you go racing again. PLEASE!

PS I love the trophy collection. And the BIG ones aren't even there. IMPRESSIVE!

Last edited by WAHUSKER; 04-11-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I agree with the basics of what has been said here, your car will run low 12s / hi 11s as it sits Todd. You want a taller gear ratio to let your power adder make the power for you. Deep gears are for guys like me that don't have the HP.

After Saturday I know some things that will help you. Run 15 psi in your QTPs. I found 17 doesn't hook as well & 13 is a little too squirrely on the top end. Then do a LONG burnout with your slicks. I mean 10 seconds of smoke in 2nd gear long. Then your QTPs should hook. A short burnout does nothing for them if you're putting serious power down & hitting them hard.

And figure out what the lowest speed is that you can go WOT in 1st gear without it bogging (i.e. rolling along at 10mph & nailing it & it stands on it's tail & shoots off). That is your target for launching. However you get there - bring it out hard, or soft, or burn the clutch, whatever - get to that point & floor it.

Reving it up & dumping the clutch with sticky slicks & stock suspension will kill your 10 bolt. And I would wind it out to 6k & shift. This gives your POS factory tach some leeway so you don't over-rev the engine. If you prefect this process and add good short shifts (WOT, lift & shift as fast as you can, WOT) your car will run the times you want.

But like I said a month ago, BEFORE you go to the track again, PLEASE take your car out to let Ellis have a peek. Just to make sure. You had one of the BAD supercharger indicators happen the last time you raced. Let someone who's been there look / listen to your car before you go racing again. PLEASE!

PS I love the trophy collection. And the BIG ones are even there. IMPRESSIVE!
Good tips. The tire pressure issue is a big problem from the last time I went. There was like 1 inch thick rubber sliming around in the launch area and the tires had to much air = spin at the launch as well as all the way down the track.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Like i said before todd, don't change a thing. evryone makes good points, on this subject,, but if you heat those tires up and launch at the track you will most likley bust your ten blot with anymore gear than stock. I am not saying it will happen, but it is areally good posibility.

4.10's on the street from a roll are not that bad, just have to come on the power a little smother. I used to spray frm the roll, and that comes on alot more sudden than the power from you blower. I did not have traction problem on the nittos. As long as i was going about 30-40mph. The only hing that would kill you would be from a dig on the street, unlees you run slicks on the street, but i don't see that happening.

I think that that car with the power it has will have no problem running mid to high 11's you just need the seat time in it. I didn't just get in the car and runs 10's. It takes time. look at the begining of his year started out running 11.6-11.7, now it is 11.2 evry motor run. you get faster with experince. Trust me.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Like i said before todd, don't change a thing. evryone makes good points, on this subject,, but if you heat those tires up and launch at the track you will most likley bust your ten blot with anymore gear than stock. I am not saying it will happen, but it is areally good posibility.

4.10's on the street from a roll are not that bad, just have to come on the power a little smother. I used to spray frm the roll, and that comes on alot more sudden than the power from you blower. I did not have traction problem on the nittos. As long as i was going about 30-40mph. The only hing that would kill you would be from a dig on the street, unlees you run slicks on the street, but i don't see that happening.

I think that that car with the power it has will have no problem running mid to high 11's you just need the seat time in it. I didn't just get in the car and runs 10's. It takes time. look at the begining of his year started out running 11.6-11.7, now it is 11.2 evry motor run. you get faster with experince. Trust me.
Seat time is the big issue, especially with a stick. I can shift my Suzuki Swift way faster (DD).

All right, screw the gears.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

good call. Now it's time for PRACtice, PRACTICE, AND MORE PRACTICE
Old 04-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

It is really nice when folks say not to spend money especially when you don't see the part.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
It is really nice when folks say not to spend money especially when you don't see the part.
Yeah, but money spent in hard to see places leaves em scratching their heads when they get spanked

Quick Reply: A gear ratio question for you drag racers...