Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Help!!!!

Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
...with cheese.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Help!!!!

I've got a braided feed line for my turbo that was unknowingly draped across one of my manifolds. The oil got real hot, hot to the point that the oil pressure went down to ~20. Normally idles 40+ hot. Once it got real low, I shut down and rolled into a gas station to let it cool down. Turned the car back on in about 15 minutes and it was still sitting around 25-35idle but the needle was spiking? like moving around a little bit spiratically. When I drove it home I noticed the oil pressure was getting around 15-20 maybe a little less at idle. It was sitting around 20-25 when I rolled into the throttle just a little bit 1500-3000rpm slowly and the oil pressure was going down slowly as I rolled into the throttle slowly. I let off the throttle and the pressure jumped back up to 30-35 and settled again around 20... I'm thinking the oil getting real hot like it did melted something... say the O-ring on the pump maybe?? I'm hoping it's not a bearing, the motor isn't making any noise at all. It's just the oil pressure thats off. I've already ruled out the sender, changed the oil... I didn't change the filter though, maybe the hot oil melted the inside of the filter? Somebody help please!!!!

Sorry for long post.

I also posted this in the Internals section.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Could be that O-ring not seated right on the oil pump....Do u have a ported Oil pump or is it stock??

Does it sound different at idle, (choppy) or is the idle needle fluxuating??
Old 04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
...with cheese.

ported pump with 6000 miles on it, car doesn't sound any different, the oil pressure needle is the only thing that fluxuates.

Search this Thread