Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glazed serpentine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Glazed serpentine belt?

Is it unusual to have a "glazed" serp. belt only ~3 months old? I have awful squealing noise from a cold start. The first time they found the belt was cracked (29000 miles on odometer). Now they say this belt is glazed (32000 miles on odometer). Wouldn't this seem to indicate something else as the main issue? Maybe a bad bearing in one of the pulleys?

Thanks for any input.
Daniel
Old 04-11-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what kind of belt do you have? did you use any type of belt dressing on it to quiet it down? My factory belt done what you are describing and belt dressing made it worse. I got a new dayco belt and before I installed it cleaned all of the pulleys with some alcohol and a rag. The car has not made any more squealing type noises since I done this. The belt has been on for about 3 years now.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daniel

I fixed a similar problem on my 98 Z28 last week. I replaced the idler pulley and no more squeal. I had a thread in this section called Squeal-Be-Gone that detailed it along with Advance Auto Parts part numbers.

In a previous thread a member mentioned cleaning and repacking the pulley. I replaced mine for $15 (the tensioner pulley is $16) but a body could do it if they wanted. On my sealed bearings there were plastic seals that was easily pulled out and replaced for cleaning/repacking.

Or, it could be something else. Belts should last longer than 27k mi. A little belt dressing would at least change the tone of the squeal if it was part of it.

I used a 3' piece of hose as a cheap stethescope to hunt down where the squeal was coming from. Old garden hose might work. Oil line would, too.

I've had good luck with new belts, too. The Gates cogged belts are good.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still under the factory 3/36000 warranty so the replacement was/and will be again a GM standard part. The first time I noticed the squeal it seemed local to the idler pulley. Now it seems local to the crank pulley... But as said above, a belt should last longer than 27k, let alone brand new 3-4k.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Glazed serpentine belt?