Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's This Noise?: Loud ticking after converter install (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's This Noise?: Loud ticking after converter install (long)

Just had my converter installed a few days ago, and I've got a really loud tick now. At first, I thought it had an exhaust leak cause the shop didn't do a very good job putting the ORY back on.

Got under there a couple days ago and tightened everything up real good. I got a new band clamp where the y joins together, and the tick is still there. I can't rule out an exhaust leak entirely, cause I still have a small amount of condensate on the band clamps. However, the noise wasn't even reduced a little bit. Still sounds exactly the same.

You can hear it at idle, and it seems to change it's frequency with the lope of the stock cam. When I accelerate, the tick speeds up, but up to about 5 mph I can't hear it anymore. It is probably still there, but I can't hear it over the exhaust.

This morning, I started her up thinking I'd hear it immediatly cause my bro's car was parked right next me and the sound resonates. I didn't here it though. Not until the car was fully warmed up (took about 10 minutes) did I begin to hear it again.

Sorry for such a long post, but what do you guys think it could be?

FYI, I changed my plugs recently to NGK TR55's. I checked the gaps on each one and they were all .055. I changed them all except number 8. I'll be changing that tomorrow. The plug wires are stock and I've got 21k miles.

I also have an autotap log that I took this morning. Seem to have quite a bit of misfiring going on at idle. And cylinders 1, 5, and 7 seem to be misfiring at WOT. I'm getting slight knock sometimes at WOT. I'm thinking it's cause of the y-pipe banging. I've got a poly trans mount going in real soon to fix that.

Also, the ticking is most audible under the car. It doesn't sound like it is coming from the top end.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone??

At idle in gear, I'm getting a ton of misfires on cylinder 1. Pretty much all of the cylinders misfire at one point or another, but cylinder 1 especially. I'm gonna go check the wire and plug on that cylinder. AT WOT though, cylinder 1 is the only one with more than 2 misfires at a time.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Several of the spark plugs came loose after I installed them. Not really sure why though. Everything I've read says 1/2 turn past finger tight.

Tightened 'em all up and she purrs like a kitten again. I'll ATAP her in the morning and see if I still get misfires.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

the converter can cause false misfire.. thats all i know.. My multidisc is also making a noise.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Tightened up the plugs and everything is fine now, no more ticking. Have you changed our plugs recently?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

I read that its the disc hitting each other. thanks tho.. glad you fixed it.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

if it comes back try stalingl the TQ up and see if the sound changes any...

while the car is running... run your hands around the clamps feeling for air coming from the exahust... also you should beable to find the sound while the car is in the air running.

if your still not sure if it's exahust try sealing the exahust pipes off with you hands if you have an exahust leak you should beable to hear a high piched sound from the leak.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Launching!

That's interesting, I have the exact same sound coming from mine, I also thought it was an exhaust leak at first too. It's only noticable when after it's warmed up too.

I don't think the plugs have ever been changed, and it just turned over 100k, so I'm sure they need to be changed, but it's running really good, so I doubt it's misfire. Guess I'll try changing my plugs as soon as I can though.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

put ngk tr55's in that bitch... you really need some.. Pm me for tips to make it a lot easier if you decide to do it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Muerte_X
That's interesting, I have the exact same sound coming from mine, I also thought it was an exhaust leak at first too. It's only noticable when after it's warmed up too.

I don't think the plugs have ever been changed, and it just turned over 100k, so I'm sure they need to be changed, but it's running really good, so I doubt it's misfire. Guess I'll try changing my plugs as soon as I can though.
Aside from the ticking, I had no clue that it was misfiring. Unless you're getting massive amounts of misfire, you may not feel it. 100k on stock plugs and wires is way too long IMO.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Aside from the ticking, I had no clue that it was misfiring. Unless you're getting massive amounts of misfire, you may not feel it. 100k on stock plugs and wires is way too long IMO.
Yeah, I plan on changing them soon, the car had 95k when it bought it and I think because they're scheduled to be done at 100k, they were never done. Soon as I get paid, I'm going to do it. I did them on previous car, a 3000gt, a car alot of shops wouldn't even touch, so I'm sure this can't be any more difficult.

And as for the misfire, even though I wouldn't feel it, would It cause a powerloss, like something I'd notice at the drag strip? I've run times consistant with what other guys said they ran stock, around the same or faster, and if anything, it seems on the fast side for a 98. Either way, I'm going to pull a couple of the easy to get to front plugs and see what they look like.

Either way, thanks for posting your solution, all i could find about it before by searching was one post that sounded exactly like what mine was doing, but there were no replies.