Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall STR and High End Effeciency.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stall STR and High End Effeciency.

I understand the higher the str on the stall, the harder it will hit and cause traction problems without sticky tires. Is there a relationship on STR and high end pulls.
I have seen several people install stalls and get a better ET but loose mph. To my understanding this stall lacks top end effeciency. Someone please correct if I am wrong.

I am really looking into a Vig 2800. I am just not sure what STR to get.
Really what I am trying to get at is what STR would optimal for highway pulls yet maintaining good street manners(not roasting your tires at .25 throttle) for a 2800-3200 stall.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Banned

I have a Vig 2800 with a 2.5 str and highway pulls are strong. Its a good street converter.

Last edited by 02 wife; 04-12-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiburon
... Is there a relationship on STR and high end pulls.
I have seen several people install stalls and get a better ET but loose mph. To my understanding this stall lacks top end effeciency. Someone please correct if I am wrong.
it is all in the design. If you look back at Yank's testing program from a few years ago, the highest efficency converter was the TT2800 with a 3.0 STR. The YTP 4400 (~2.5 STR) was right up there as was the PYE 3400 (~2.5 STR).

If you start jacking around with just one factor for a given design, then efficency can go to hell quickly.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 PM

Get the Vig 2800 or 3200 with the standard STR that Precision Industries makes it with. It is a know good performer.

John
Old 04-13-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

ss3600 from yank. It has a high efficency rating (cant remember right now, but i think it is close to 96-97%) with a 2.5str.

Before i had the stall put in, i was afraid that my driving around the city was gonna be horrible due to the insane traction issues I thought i was gonna have. Well, i was completely wrong!!!!

This being my first stall in any car, i really cant explain the differences between one and the other. But, i do love my car and can explain wat i noticed when the new stall was put in.

First of all, i had the stall put in at the same time as my 408ci motor. With this in mind, i thought that i couldnt possibly get ANY kind of traction with the stall on street tires. Im still breakin in the motor but i'll tell the few times that i have given it "some" gas (hehehehe) i have only broken the tires in the hardest of them all. Just driving around i have never broken once, not even from a stop. The stall also doesnt need much gas to get going. (about 100-200rpms..) Also, If you let go of the brake, it roles just like your regular converter does. To me, the street manners are different but not horrible, very liveable. you just have to get used to the feel of the acceleration just like any other stall converter.

I cant say that you should get the ss3600 because its the best but I know that this is my first stall converter and it will be most likely my only converter. I absolutely love it!!!! The dead spots that are in these trannies where you stomp on it and stay in the same gear for example, well, that is all gone. You get crazy acceleration in all areas of the powerband. (that might also have to do with my new motor, hehehe, but anyways...)

Sorry for the long post but im just expressing my complete appreciation for this stall....it is a really good piece and you wont be disappointed with its street manners and all out performance...

good luck...i hope i didnt sway away from your original question...

Search this Thread