Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need louder exhaust...

Old 04-13-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need louder exhaust...

Anyone know of a good cutout that i can put in the i-pipe? After fitting a 3" y-pipe coming from QTP LT's into a LM catback i was suprised at how quiet it was, i almost liked it better when i had the stock manifold w/ the LM catback. I have cats in the y-pipe (hollowed out by rich running engine until i got it tuned) but i'm keeping the shells there for emissions reasons so i cant fit dual cut outs. I thought about the qtec electric but decided i didnt want to deal w/ replacing parts and having stuff break so does anyone know of a regular cut out that lasts more than a few seasons? Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jegs sells a cable operated cutout for around $50. It offers the same benefits of an electric but much cheaper.

Jason
Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
Jegs sells a cable operated cutout for around $50. It offers the same benefits of an electric but much cheaper.

Jason
I may be wrong but I think those only for 2" pipe.
You can get those cut out that you have to unbolt the cap... Kinnda a PITA if you ask me I would go electric
Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea thats what i was thinkin, TSP has the flowteck that you have to unbolt the cap to but it sounds good to me b/c for 35 bux and shipping compared to the electric ones that eventually end up breaking. My only reasoning for not caring about having to manually uncap is b/c i dont drive the car more than 2 or 3 days a week through the summer time and those 2 or 3 days i would probably just have it uncapped, unless i know i'm going somewhere cops will be then i'll put it up on the lift and cap it up. Any other opinions let me know.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
yea thats what i was thinkin, TSP has the flowteck that you have to unbolt the cap to but it sounds good to me b/c for 35 bux and shipping compared to the electric ones that eventually end up breaking. My only reasoning for not caring about having to manually uncap is b/c i dont drive the car more than 2 or 3 days a week through the summer time and those 2 or 3 days i would probably just have it uncapped, unless i know i'm going somewhere cops will be then i'll put it up on the lift and cap it up. Any other opinions let me know.
Yeah can't beat the flow tech cutout i got mine for $35 and $50 to get it welded in. Honestly its not a big deal to lay down and cap and uncap it. I used to uncap and cap it depending on cops, but now I just leave it open. I have stock manifolds and y pipe and it has a deep throaty sound. When you go wot people will know. If it's louder you want go with a cutout man
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you mean 50 bux total w/ welding it in or did you pay 50 bucks alone just to weld it in? Either way, i think i'm going to order one as soon as i get paid this fri....d*mn long pay periods lol. Thanks all.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

LT's and LM w/ hollowed out/gutted cats is QUIET?!??! wow many it must have deafened you.

Get an Electric Cutout, and if thats not enough (its not THAT big a diff) get a Big cam that oughta do it
Old 04-13-2005, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

IMO, any decent muffler shop can fab up a cut out. I've had 2 so far, 55 for fab and install. I wouldn't waste money on a flowtech.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting, i dont know where to start w/ muffler shops around this area, meineke couldnt even get the y-pipe that i bought from qtp so that doesnt say much for them.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've never once heard someone complain about LT's through a LM being too quiet.

QTP cutout is the best from what I've read, though.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL i know you guys think i'm nuts....i think its just b/c i dont drive it daily, and when i do, its usually to cruise around town, so i dont get to hear WOT too often, dont get me wrong though, when i do, its deffinatly loud, but i want something thats going to be loud while at a cruising RPM, i think my main probably is the week after i installed the LT's i left only about a foot and a half of pipe at the end of them and drove it like that for a while so i was basically used to the sound of open headers. Then i slapped on the y and it sounded like a luxury family car or something. LOL...i guess i'll get used to having a finished exhaust but i'm still going to try the cutout right after the y-pipe to see if that helps.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

i'd say get true duals and find a friendly inspection shop. you'll not complain about sweet thunder mufflers being too quiet
Old 04-14-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was actually thinking about that, and tomorrow i'm going to look around for a shop that wont be losers about the whole emissions thing if i can find one then i'll probably do it....gonna check ls1sounds for some clips right now.

Search this Thread