Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Exhaust Advice....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Exhaust Advice....

Ok I've listed to LS1sounds.com a million times. I have Mac Midlengths, ORY & Magnaflow Cat back with cutout in the I-Pipe. I bought the Magnaflow becuse I liked how it sounded @LS1sounds.com. After installing this entire exhaust system I'm not pleased with the performance or sound of the car.
Here is what i've thought of...

1. Put everything back to stock except the catback and run the cutout open.

2. Put a (Flowmaster 1 chamber, bullet or Borla XR-1) before the cutout and open the cutout, only problem with this is if I ever want to close the cutout I'm not sure you would hear the car running. The Magnaflow is very quiet on my car..

3. Sell the cat back and run one of the 3 muffler listed above after the Y-pipe.

4. Sell the cat back & Ory and run true duals.. (not sure the car would run well?)

Sorry for the long post just kinda at a loss and lossing sleep due to mind consumption..

Kevin
Old 04-13-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man i got mac mids and custom pipes done up for duals dumped before the axle and am very pleased. with a lid and a ported tb my car is putting 348 down and sounds awesome. just went to the dyno monday got the chart posted in the dyno section.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure I would have gone with mids.... but you can work with whast you have. What dont you like about the sound? Is it not loud enough, or too loud? True Duals are nice but can get very annoying and there is hardly any clearance in a lowered car and its even more of a problem with a good torque arm. If you have the money Id get some cheap longtubes for now and get a loudmouth exaust or if you dont like the rasp find a dynomouth. No cats.. It will be loud as all hell though.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

stock manifold and cutouts sound like crap to me... sounds like an exaust leak... holemaster
Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

What mufflers are you using? Any cats & is your car tuned?

Originally Posted by snake charmer
man i got mac mids and custom pipes done up for duals dumped before the axle and am very pleased. with a lid and a ported tb my car is putting 348 down and sounds awesome. just went to the dyno monday got the chart posted in the dyno section.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an ORY and a cut-out in the I-pipe. Sounded great before the cam and it sounds even better now. I don't see why you should ditch the magnaflow...just keep the cut-out open.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've opened the cutout once. It was extremely raspy....That's why I thought about doing some type of muffler before the cutout.....

Thanks for everyones suggestions so far...Keep them coming..

Kevin

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
I have an ORY and a cut-out in the I-pipe. Sounded great before the cam and it sounds even better now. I don't see why you should ditch the magnaflow...just keep the cut-out open.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone else?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default macs

Originally Posted by silver02Z
anyone else?
The mac mids still make a good amount of power....is it the raspy sound you dont like?I didnt like it at first,but its grown on me and I like it now.I run a complete mac system from motor to tailpipe and I'm pleased...the muffs should break in and maybe get a little louder.If you have the money than go with kooks Lt's and keep your magnaflow..I havent ran anything else but macs so I'm really just going on what i'v heard.I really dont think your gonna show an incredible hp increase changing your headers though,being you already have a descent set I wouldnt bother ...unless ofcourse the money is no prob...bye
Old 04-14-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99f1
The mac mids still make a good amount of power....is it the raspy sound you dont like?I didnt like it at first,but its grown on me and I like it now.I run a complete mac system from motor to tailpipe and I'm pleased...the muffs should break in and maybe get a little louder.If you have the money than go with kooks Lt's and keep your magnaflow..I havent ran anything else but macs so I'm really just going on what i'v heard.I really dont think your gonna show an incredible hp increase changing your headers though,being you already have a descent set I wouldnt bother ...unless ofcourse the money is no prob...bye
Yeah, I'm kinda confused as to what exactly you don't like about your set-up? I know you said you hated the raspy-A$$ sound of the open cutout, but I'd imagine you don't like the rasp through the Magnaflow muffler either? I know I don't. Too loud? Too quiet?

If you don't like the nasty rasp, you have two choices to fix this...Have some highflow CATS welded into your Y (which will kill all of the rasp and deepen/clean up the tone). It will make it noticeably quieter this way, but your car will also sound a lot better. OR, ditch the Magnaflow cat-back for a 2.5" (since you have MAC's) X-pipe set-up to dump or run some true duals out the back. Unlike "single" exhaust set-ups (cat-backs/Y-pipe), duals actually sound very good without cats and they are not raspy. Just very loud, especially if you dump some Dynomax Bullets or Flowmaster 1-chambers. But the tone is extra mean and would sound much better (deeper/cleaner) than your current set-up.

As for performance though, I don't quiet see how you're disappointed in it?? Your MAC mid-lengths won't give up anything to a set of longtubes on your stock internal car (and they'll about match 'em up to a solid 400rwhp). Only thing you might gain is a little under the curve with the longtubes, but that's it. At least from what I've seen of others who've made the switch. And you wouldn't really gain anything at all (peak-wise) with X-pipe duals, but you'd definitely gain under the curve with them as compared to any Y-pipe cat-back.

Either way, hope I helped some and good luck!

Mike
Old 04-14-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

But whatever you do (I just re-read your post again), do NOT take off your headers to put the stock manifolds & Y-pipe back on! Trust me, you're making much better power with them than without. You're car might be running rich after them, so you might need to have the Air/Fuel ratio adjusted to be leaned out some (ideally 12.9-13.1 for N/A LS1's).

If I understood you correctly though, it seems like you want a loud car, but without any rasp...So either put some cats back on the car and run the cutout open or dump the Y-pipe/cat-back for the 2.5 X-pipe true dauls I talked about...Either way, you'll be much happier and still retain all the power you want...
Old 04-15-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

To be honest I was shocked at how quiet the exhaust was...I let a friend drive my car yesterday for the first time and it sounds 2000% better outside the car . The rasp between 2000 - 2800 is still a little annoying however I'm starting to get used to it. I'm still considering putting in a bullet before the cutout but we'll see... Thanks again for everyones input and comments.

Kevin

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Yeah, I'm kinda confused as to what exactly you don't like about your set-up? I know you said you hated the raspy-A$$ sound of the open cutout, but I'd imagine you don't like the rasp through the Magnaflow muffler either? I know I don't. Too loud? Too quiet?

If you don't like the nasty rasp, you have two choices to fix this...Have some highflow CATS welded into your Y (which will kill all of the rasp and deepen/clean up the tone). It will make it noticeably quieter this way, but your car will also sound a lot better. OR, ditch the Magnaflow cat-back for a 2.5" (since you have MAC's) X-pipe set-up to dump or run some true duals out the back. Unlike "single" exhaust set-ups (cat-backs/Y-pipe), duals actually sound very good without cats and they are not raspy. Just very loud, especially if you dump some Dynomax Bullets or Flowmaster 1-chambers. But the tone is extra mean and would sound much better (deeper/cleaner) than your current set-up.

As for performance though, I don't quiet see how you're disappointed in it?? Your MAC mid-lengths won't give up anything to a set of longtubes on your stock internal car (and they'll about match 'em up to a solid 400rwhp). Only thing you might gain is a little under the curve with the longtubes, but that's it. At least from what I've seen of others who've made the switch. And you wouldn't really gain anything at all (peak-wise) with X-pipe duals, but you'd definitely gain under the curve with them as compared to any Y-pipe cat-back.

Either way, hope I helped some and good luck!

Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Catted Mac Y or Bullet in Ipipe?