Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Magnaflow install

Old 04-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After Magnaflow install

After installing my Magnaflow Catback exhaust I have noticed that my car takes alot longer to warm up. I know that the temperature guage in my car is not accurate but their is definetly a difference in how long my car takes to warm up.It takes at least a full 10 minutes longer to reach full operating temperature (210 deg). Anyone else notice this after a catback install?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't sound related to me.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

there was no difference in coolant temps or warmup time after I put magnaflow on
Old 04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like mod paranoia... Take two asprin and call me if it gets worse
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed my Magnaflow a little over a week ago. There is no difference in warm up time at all. Are Ya sure you are not just enjoying the sound and loosing track of time???
Old 04-13-2005, 09:31 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

nope not in mine. by the time she hits 210 she is getting slower for me, dont know why some people say its operating temp. my operating temp hovers round 175 and right there I seem to get the most power out of her.

or maybe I'm crazy!
Brad
Old 04-13-2005, 09:32 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by The old man
I installed my Magnaflow a little over a week ago. There is no difference in warm up time at all. Are Ya sure you are not just enjoying the sound and loosing track of time???
I didnt read this! I think this guy's hit the nail on the head, friend.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
Sounds like mod paranoia... Take two asprin and call me if it gets worse
That's funny as ****! I think almost all of us have had this sickness after an install at one time or another!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
nope not in mine. by the time she hits 210 she is getting slower for me, dont know why some people say its operating temp. my operating temp hovers round 175 and right there I seem to get the most power out of her.

or maybe I'm crazy!
Brad
Am I to understand that youre beating on your car before its reached full temperature? Im sure others have told you of the dangers of doing this and all about the unnecessary wear your putting your motor through. What I can however add is that if youre car is running noticably stronger before fully warm, it may be indicative of a tuning issue. If your car is running stronger in open loop mode before it warms up, your closed loop tune is probably off. Maybe its been that way from the factory, maybe not. I would suggest tutting in a 180º thermostat, and getting a tune to chnge your fan settings. That will keep your car a little cooler so youll be happy, but it will also allow your engine and oil to be fully warmed up before your step on the gas.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Am I to understand that youre beating on your car before its reached full temperature? Im sure others have told you of the dangers of doing this and all about the unnecessary wear your putting your motor through. What I can however add is that if youre car is running noticably stronger before fully warm, it may be indicative of a tuning issue. If your car is running stronger in open loop mode before it warms up, your closed loop tune is probably off. Maybe its been that way from the factory, maybe not. I would suggest tutting in a 180º thermostat, and getting a tune to chnge your fan settings. That will keep your car a little cooler so youll be happy, but it will also allow your engine and oil to be fully warmed up before your step on the gas.
whoa whoa wait what? It's supposed to run up to 210? holy **** mine has never sat up that high unless I sit in traffic for a long time. She usually sits around as I said 175* when driving under normal circumstances, i.e. while moving I couldnt get her to go up to 210* if I wanted her to! 1 or 2 minutes at 40mph dump it down to 175*. And I'm highly doubtful of any tuning issues. There's no major work done to the car, just induction/exhaust.

As I said also, around 210 or higher, I can feel a noticable loss in power.

EDIT: Additionally, I dont think I'm causing any 'unneccesary wear and tear'. I just hit 76K and she runs smooth as glass. So I am pretty confused. I've never seen another F-Body with a working temp gauge sit at 210 while driving.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine also runs stronger under 210. It seems to make the most power at 180-200. I have a 98 w/the working temp gauge also. My friends 98 also runs best under 200. I don't think it's a tuning issue. This is why people run cooler thermostats and fan switches. Running it too cool does also make the car run slower and richer during start up mode though.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ahh, you guys have 98's with the working temp gauges. Stupid me forgot that they ever existed, sorry. My Z gets up to operating temperature and the gauge hovers right around verticle, give or take a hair, which is labeled as 210. I remember my 98 v6 used to hover around the 1/4 way mark, which I assume your cars do as well.

Basically, as long as your car is up to operating temperature, everythings fine. I though you were starting it cold and beating on it right out of the driveway! Sorry!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:40 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Ahh, you guys have 98's with the working temp gauges. Stupid me forgot that they ever existed, sorry. My Z gets up to operating temperature and the gauge hovers right around verticle, give or take a hair, which is labeled as 210. I remember my 98 v6 used to hover around the 1/4 way mark, which I assume your cars do as well.

Basically, as long as your car is up to operating temperature, everythings fine. I though you were starting it cold and beating on it right out of the driveway! Sorry!
oh my bad man yeah I forgot that too. lol why did they ever do that in the first place???

Brad
Old 04-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Launching!

My car temperature guage runs exactly like yours. I dont' understand why everyone thinks I am beating on my car. When I drive to work in the morning I do not shift over 2000 to 2500 rpm until I get there. Before the install the temp guage would reach about 210 deg in about 10 minutes from start up. Now after the install it doesn't reach 210 deg until I am almost at work, which is about 25 minutes.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I really dont know what to make of it. Where on long island are you located? Are you part of LIFBA? If so, i can take a quick look at it at next months meeting. Really, if anything ive noticed my temperature gauge warming up much quicker now that the warm weather is here. Do you notice any other problems? The car is running fine? Anything weird with the heating system? Does it take longer for the heat to heat up as well? Very odd stuff here, but im pretty sure its coincidental to the magnaflow install.

-Tony
Old 04-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Launching!

I really dont know what to make of it. Where on long island are you located? Are you part of LIFBA? If so, i can take a quick look at it at next months meeting. Really, if anything ive noticed my temperature gauge warming up much quicker now that the warm weather is here. Do you notice any other problems? The car is running fine? Anything weird with the heating system? Does it take longer for the heat to heat up as well? Very odd stuff here, but im pretty sure its coincidental to the magnaflow install.

-Tony
No , I do not belong to the LIFBA ( Maybe I'll Join). The car runs fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe it is just a coincidence like you said.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by Shutout
No , I do not belong to the LIFBA ( Maybe I'll Join). The car runs fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe it is just a coincidence like you said.
listen man, after each mod I've installed, I've found things that seem like they dont go the way they did before the mod. its just being new, and learning about your car as you go that's all. I really wouldnt worry about it man. Just enjoy that magnaflow! I love mine!

Brad

EDIT: If you drive like you say you do, you have nothing to worry about anyway. good luck with the car!

Search this Thread