Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Starting Problems: Pump? Ignition? Filter? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems: Pump? Ignition? Filter? HELP!

Hey ya'll:
Having a little trouble starting up my TA a couple weeks ago: now it's getting progressivly worse.
First started out with a little more time turning over than usual, now it's turning into a full-fledged battle to get the thing started without the battery dying out. (Starter is fine- just won't turn over!!) My brother and I are stumped: Could it be the ignition system, the fuel ilter, or the fuel pump itself? Try pumping it, and that seems to get it started, but it takes a while. Had a Ford Gran Torino that I had to pump and I dont want to go back doin that again. Please help me, if you've had the same problem or might know what it is. Would really appreciate it!

-PhoenixTA99
Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default Starting problems: ignition? Fuel Filter? Pump? Please Help!

Hey ya'll:
Having a little trouble starting up my TA a couple weeks ago: now it's getting progressivly worse.
First started out with a little more time turning over than usual, now it's turning into a full-fledged battle to get the thing started without the battery dying out. (Starter is fine- just won't turn over!!) My brother and I are stumped: Could it be the ignition system, the fuel ilter, or the fuel pump itself? Try pumping it, and that seems to get it started, but it takes a while. Had a Ford Gran Torino that I had to pump and I dont want to go back doin that again. Please help me, if you've had the same problem or might know what it is. Would really appreciate it!

-PhoenixTA99
Old 04-13-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What recent work has been done to the car. Also, did you check all the ground straps, and make sure the battery is 100% good? I think if you bring it to sears they will load test it for free. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Next time you go to start it, check if it sparks straight away.
If it does then look into the fuel side of things, probably the pumps taking a while to prime, meaning somethings not right if it keeps bleeding off pressure, make sure no hoses have any slight leaks etc at the pump.