Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Cadillac STS SAE 100

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cadillac STS SAE 100

BALLER ***!! is the only way I can seem to describe this vehicle. http://www.fast-autos.net/cadillac/cadillacsae100.html

Awesome stuff man. There were rumors of a CTS-VR and while I know it won't happen, an STS-VR would be just as awesome. A supercharged LS2 can't be argued with. I'm guessing the most probable production piece/combo on this car is the automatic transmission coupled to the blown LS2 under the hood. While a proper Corvette should be self shifted, it's damn time they replace the aging 4 speed autos in the slushbox cars with a transmission that has a few more ratios. They've already adapted the 6L80-E into the XLR-V and packaged it at the rear of the car so it shouldn't be too hard to get it into the Vette.

Speaking of the hotness that is the XLR-V... http://www.fast-autos.net/cadillac/cadillacxlrv.html

Last edited by bruddah_man_matt; 04-14-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

It would seem that putting a pushrod engine in a Caddy would be going backwards at this point, even an LSx. That kind of power can be made with a Northstar, wonder why they didn't use one....
Old 04-14-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Well there definitely isn't anything "backwards" when you're talking about an LSX. Pushrods do not make an engine ancient as the LS7 and even the LS2 demonstrate.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:45 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I think you got the wrong idea about what I said.

Technically, pushrods are older tech. Even when dressed up in fancy PCMs and exotic materials. The Northstar is a more advanced base design which could be dressed up in the same stuff, get higher revs, and make just as much power, and maybe even be lighter.

I was just saying that since Caddy is supposed to be the techology flagship, I would have figured on them using a hopped up Northstar, or making a new generation of it, is all.

Believe you-me, I fight against people who deride our stuff as ancient and worthless all the time, and would kill for an LS7 (if only for the @90lb savings over the LS1).
Old 04-15-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

You have a point. Even though pushrod engines aren't exactly antiquated, most "un-knowning" buyers treat the OHC world as advanced.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the 6L80's at the Wixom plant when I was there.. simply bad ***..

The blown Northstar was nice as well..
Old 04-15-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by technical
You have a point. Even though pushrod engines aren't exactly antiquated, most "un-knowning" buyers treat the OHC world as advanced.
OHC has been around a LONG time.. the pushrod motor is here to stay as evidenced by the LS7 which is far and away more advanced than most motors..
Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
OHC has been around a LONG time.. the pushrod motor is here to stay as evidenced by the LS7 which is far and away more advanced than most motors..

Jaguar was using them in the early 30's. A financially troubled car company can't to afford to develop a new engine for it when they have one that is more than capable.

I'm sure they didn't use a maxed out Northstar due to warranty concerns. I'm sure that's why they didn't go N/A on the lsx to achieve it.

Quick Reply: Cadillac STS SAE 100