Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X4 finally in!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X4 finally in!!!!

Well I installed the X4 tonight, everything went pretty smoothly, car started right up, found the idle and runs strong!!! I DEFINITELY need to tune it, but it does ok for having a old tune in the car. I couldn't find my ported LS6 oil pump, misplaced it in the move, but I did install my new JWIS timing chain along with the swap. I put the old oil pump back on (Sucked, I wanted to replace it while it was off ) but the stock pump was giving good pressure.

I seemed to lose a little oil pressure with the cam swap, not sure if the cam is making the oil pressure drop a little with the 111 lsa over the 114 and seeing as the X4 is larger, not sure. But I do see 40 psi area at idle, and 50 psi area under throttle. I was able to reuse the oil pump o-ring, didn't tear it (at least I think), but as soon as I find my LS6 pump I will swap it back out.

Overall, it's a nice improvement for not being tuned, I know it will be even more kick *** after the tune, but you GOT to hear this thing idle, MY GOD, it's nasty!!! I will try to get a vid REAL soon!!! I can use my cell phone but it wouldn't be the same

Well, dyno numbers to come maybe Sat if I can get in and my tuner can tune
Old 04-15-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fit under stock heads? Did you cut the pistons?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, fit under my stock 853 heads, no flycutting needed, seems to work fine, I turned the engine over a few times with a socket and it didn't make any noise like it hit or got hard to turn over, so... so far so good, dyno numbers to come soon!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you check PtoV clearance or at least calculate it? It can't be much!
Old 04-15-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, didn't check it, don't know how to either, I'm taking LG's word that it fits under stock heads, we know the clearance is close, but I don't miss shifts and over rev the motor, so I should be fine. I have a friend that has the same cam under stock LS6 heads and his is fine as well.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orange Peel, You'll love that cam. especialy after you get it tuned. I put one in a car about 2 months a go. With a little idle tunning that thing idles way better than the x2 I had...nice rhythm, even on cold starts. Just bump the starter fires up at about 850 RPM, warms up to a nice 950 RPM idle with no surging or stumble...I never could get the X2 to idle any where near as good. Another BIG + is way more muscle! This is in a drag car with a SD tune, but Shoot, I'd have no problem with this cam in an auto street car with a decent converter.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Well I installed the X4 tonight, everything went pretty smoothly, car started right up, found the idle and runs strong!!! I DEFINITELY need to tune it, but it does ok for having a old tune in the car. I couldn't find my ported LS6 oil pump, misplaced it in the move, but I did install my new JWIS timing chain along with the swap. I put the old oil pump back on (Sucked, I wanted to replace it while it was off ) but the stock pump was giving good pressure.

I seemed to lose a little oil pressure with the cam swap, not sure if the cam is making the oil pressure drop a little with the 111 lsa over the 114 and seeing as the X4 is larger, not sure. But I do see 40 psi area at idle, and 50 psi area under throttle. I was able to reuse the oil pump o-ring, didn't tear it (at least I think), but as soon as I find my LS6 pump I will swap it back out.

Overall, it's a nice improvement for not being tuned, I know it will be even more kick *** after the tune, but you GOT to hear this thing idle, MY GOD, it's nasty!!! I will try to get a vid REAL soon!!! I can use my cell phone but it wouldn't be the same

Well, dyno numbers to come maybe Sat if I can get in and my tuner can tune
You're still gonna lose to me again scott and ill have a cam as well this time

j/k LOL, cant wait to see what u put down
Old 04-15-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What lifters are you using?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maggie - Thanks, I already love it, the idle is amazing, I will have video up later today, and the power is good, not the best it can be right now with the old tune, but it should wake up nicely!!

Tyler - You're probably right, I will lose again, my car just doesn't like to go fast I heard that you are doing a cam, it better be a X2 at least you little girl j/k

jub jub - Stock lifters, stock rockers, hardened pushrods.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Maggie - Thanks, I already love it, the idle is amazing, I will have video up later today, and the power is good, not the best it can be right now with the old tune, but it should wake up nicely!!

Tyler - You're probably right, I will lose again, my car just doesn't like to go fast I heard that you are doing a cam, it better be a X2 at least you little girl j/k

jub jub - Stock lifters, stock rockers, hardened pushrods.

Comp 224/228 581/581 114, springs, and retainers because it was so cheap i couldnt pass it by. I dont have 1200 to spend on a cam package right now

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 04-15-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to have that cam, except on a 112lsa. It will be ok for a while, till you get the itch for more hehe