Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Question about brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about brake rotors

When I was up there last week I went with my folks as they were new car shopping (bbbboring LOL)

Anyway, I noticed that just about EVERY friggin car had rusted (looking) brake rotors. Is that normal? Is it just surface rust like you get from washing the car? Should I not invest in a good set of rotors/pads if they are just going to rust over? I don't wanna spend the coin to upgrade my rotors to some bling-age if they are just gonna look like all the time.

Any & all help is much appriecated.

Darrin
Old 04-15-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just surface rust... go ahead and hit the brakes hard a few times, it goes away.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Or take them off & polish em like Todd does! Just keep in mind, you should only polish the outside surface. If you do that backs too, your brakes will be less than responsive, huh Todd?

My Eradispeeds are in transit Darin. I plan to clear-coat the edges to keep them nice, & scotch-brite the faces for shows.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys, I appreciate it........I have seen slight surface rust on rotors here like that after the car gets washed or whatever......just never on EVERY friggin car on the lot.

Good to know it will clean off just like it does here.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rain does wonderful things in washington Rust on the rotors is normal here
Old 04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
Rain does wonderful things in washington Rust on the rotors is normal here
I knew there had to be a downside to this move..............oh well, real estate prices MORE then make up for rusty rotors.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I knew there had to be a downside to this move..............oh well, real estate prices MORE then make up for rusty rotors.
It would take someone from California to think our real estate prices are cheap...
Old 04-15-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
It would take someone from California to think our real estate prices are cheap...
I was looking at housing while I was up there last week.........I almost myself. The "median" cost of a house in LA County is over $600k.........and that ain't no friggin palace lemme tell ya. I thought I had died & gone to heaven when I saw your prices up there.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

King County is getting there... got its fair share of million dollar plus homes. I think the median house in King County just crept over $400k, if I remember the news right.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

King County is getting there... got its fair share of million dollar plus homes. I think the median house in King County just crept over $400k, if I remember the news right.
That's why God invented Snohomish County (or was it Snoqualimie <sp?>)??

PS The City of Seattle is in King County right?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's why God invented Snohomish County (or was it Snoqualimie <sp?>)??

PS The City of Seattle is in King County right?
Yep, Seattle is in King County...and Snohomish County is just a King county wannabe. Prices are going up here almost as fast as gas prices! Pretty soon we're going to have to sell all and move to Montana or somewhere!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Default real estate prices/wages

Yup, he's one of those "California transplants" I was talking about. No offense, and nothing meant personally. My parents are from the NW, and we moved back here shortly after my dad got out of the service. I was actually born in Oxnard, CA. I've often wondered how my life would have been different if my dad would have taken my grandfather up on his offer to help him get things set up to live down there.
I hope you've got a good job lined up as a reason for your move. One of the reasons that the real estate stays cheaper is that the average income is lower. Here in the Wilamette Valley you are very lucky to get a $11.50/hr or more job. There aren't even too many 10.00/hr jobs available. There's no way I could have gotten my GTO if my wife and I weren't both working.
Back to topic: There's always rust on your rotors here in Oregon too. Unless you drive it every day, or it's the few weeks of real summer we get here.

Later,

Maximental
Old 04-16-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maximental
Yup, he's one of those "California transplants" I was talking about. No offense, and nothing meant personally. My parents are from the NW, and we moved back here shortly after my dad got out of the service. I was actually born in Oxnard, CA. I've often wondered how my life would have been different if my dad would have taken my grandfather up on his offer to help him get things set up to live down there.
I hope you've got a good job lined up as a reason for your move. One of the reasons that the real estate stays cheaper is that the average income is lower. Here in the Wilamette Valley you are very lucky to get a $11.50/hr or more job. There aren't even too many 10.00/hr jobs available. There's no way I could have gotten my GTO if my wife and I weren't both working.
Back to topic: There's always rust on your rotors here in Oregon too. Unless you drive it every day, or it's the few weeks of real summer we get here.

Later,

Maximental
Thanks for the info and no offense taken, I know us "California" folk aren't the most well liked up in those parts........but it isn't MY fault I was born/raised down here.

I appreicate the $$ advice as well. Sadly/fortunately I am retired so I have a steady income that has allowed me to live comfortably here in So Cal for the last 6 years so I am not too worried. Between that & my upcoming settlement with my former work to end this headache of a case, I should be just fine. Besides, I am gonna go into business with my parents who moved up there in '01 so I can keep busy & not be bored to tears.........& the extra $$ never hurts either.

Thanks again for the straight talk.

Side note: I lived in Ventura, Thousand Oaks & Camarillo for years, where in Oxnard were ya and when?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

I know us "California" folk aren't the most well liked up in those parts........
Specially one that is an ex po-po! That's 2 strikes buddy!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

I lived in Ventura, Thousand Oaks & Camarillo for years, where in Oxnard were ya and when?
I'm sorry I misspoke. My brother was born in Oxnard in'70, and I was born in VENTURA in '67. My mother lived in Port Hueneme-sp? while my dad was in the Sea bees (Navy Construction Batallion) during Viet Nam. We moved back to Oregon in '71 or '72. My dad used to hang out with some guys at the dragstrips when we lived down there. I came by my interest in motorsports honestly.

Maximental
Old 04-16-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
Specially one that is an ex po-po! That's 2 strikes buddy!
Watch it pal or else I will call in some favors.
Originally Posted by maximental
I'm sorry I misspoke. My brother was born in Oxnard in'70, and I was born in VENTURA in '67. My mother lived in Port Hueneme-sp? while my dad was in the Sea bees (Navy Construction Batallion) during Viet Nam. We moved back to Oregon in '71 or '72. My dad used to hang out with some guys at the dragstrips when we lived down there. I came by my interest in motorsports honestly.

Maximental
Gotcha.....I didn't live in that area till 1991 or so...........but I am, VERY familiar with the Military stuff at Hueneme and surrounding areas since my brother-in-law is in the Air Natl Guard Stationed @ Pt Magu.

Quick Reply: Question about brake rotors