Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAC Headers Installed ! - comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAC Headers Installed ! - comments

Well, it was my first install and It took me and my buddy 10 hrs to put them in.

Stock ones went out from the bottom, and MACs went in from the top (I had to remove coil packs, valve covers and spark plugs)

The passanger one went in with no problems. We had to move A/C-accesories out of the way though.

The driver side was a different story. It almost goes in, but it gets stuck on the steering linkage.... Some people decide to remove the linkage. Well.....I just turned the steering wheel, and the linkage repositioned itself allowing more clearnace for headers to drop in.

From this point on install was a breeze....

May I add that the combo that I have now is MAC + ORY + Loudmouth.
It's insanly crazy loud...in a bad way of course...it's raspy as hell....as expected - not a good combo.

My buddy (RedHardSupra) showed up with HP tuners and we took it for a spin. It was a bit lean, and had one knock at high rpms...he tuned it just perfect. The cur runs perfect, but I'd be BS'ing saying that I feel more power. It's rather hard to tell a 20 rwhp difference on a 325 rwhp motor.... If there is dyno day special in chicago area, then maybe I'll go to see the change...

I have a Borla XR-1 muffler ready to be put in. I'm also considering putting in cats instead of XR-1. I'm torn...maybe I'll go with cats only....we'll see....
Old 04-15-2005, 10:46 AM
dug
Banned

Yeah, macs are pretty easy to install. Here is a clip of a borlamouth with stock cam and macs with ory.

http://home.comcast.net/~dougramey/borlamouth.MOV
Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sounds awesome ! - thanks fot the clip
Old 04-15-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man i just went to the dyno and got 348rwhp with a lid, ported tb, and mac duals dumped before the axle.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Snake Charmer has your car tuned?

Originally Posted by snake charmer
man i just went to the dyno and got 348rwhp with a lid, ported tb, and mac duals dumped before the axle.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

somewhat, i had a mail tune to delete the o2s and the emissions so i think the guy is running some type of program on it. last friday my vats started acting up so i decided to get a dyno and find out my air/fuel so that while my tuner is deleting vats he can more accurately tune my ride.
you can see the dyno chart from this past monday in the dyno section. i was running lean for the record.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

I'd be BS'ing saying that I feel more power. It's rather hard to tell a 20 rwhp difference on a 325 rwhp motor....
Seriously, I have them on and u can't notice a difference because it's making already a crap load of power...

My buddies dad put LT's, cam (small, non-aggressive), and a slowmaster on...If u ride in both our cars it pulls the same...

It's the top end that makes the difference

Last edited by ls1fbod; 04-15-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you port out your primaries before you installed your MAC's? I spent about 4-5 hours on mine with a dremmel tool and totally eliminated the weld ... until there was a perfect 45 dgeree angle on the pipe ...as true to 1 3/4" as any set of 1 3/4" LT's could ever possibly be.

Mine took about 4 hours, but, only because I had installed headers before. Congrat's on your MAC's. I LOVE MY MAC's!!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Did you port out your primaries before you installed your MAC's? I spent about 4-5 hours on mine with a dremmel tool and totally eliminated the weld ... until there was a perfect 45 dgeree angle on the pipe ...as true to 1 3/4" as any set of 1 3/4" LT's could ever possibly be.

Mine took about 4 hours, but, only because I had installed headers before. Congrat's on your MAC's. I LOVE MY MAC's!!!!
I love them too, and u know what i have had little scraping problems with them too...I can't imagine LT's going over a speed bump..(especially if it was lowered)
Old 04-15-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not port the primaries...I was too lazy to do it...
I love MACs a lot so far....Next week I'll be putting in Koni shocks with Bilnstein lowering springs (1 inch) so I don't wanna have any clearance issues, and I know I won't ! :-)
Old 04-15-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

sweet!!! i have MAC ML's and w/ thier Y-pipe and a random tech muffler exhaust sytem....loud as hell....and i LOVE IT!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SStheBest > I have that setup except adjustable Borla catback and just got my QTP electric cutout back from being rebuilt. There's a black F-body that passed me out close to where I live several times ... rev'd his engine hard and it was pretty loud. FINALLY, I got my cuout back and installed it this week. I passed that guy and we rev'd at about the same time. He about ran off the damned road ... LOL!!!!! IMHO, MAC mid's, MAC ORY and ANY catback is going to be awesome as hell!!!!

AdamSS > have you thought about doing a cutout? Since I bought my electric one directly from QTP, I called them up and sent them a $30.00 check and they rebuilt it and it even seals totally. I had mine about a year before it needed a rebuild. If you don't mind that, it's a few extra horses, but, it's more fun than anything.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:36 AM
10 Second Club

I've got them also & just installed a GMMG with a QTP cut out, it's very nasty with the cut out open. the GMMG sounds pretty dam nice too.
I'm thinking about making a new Y pipe out of 3" & a flowmaster merge collecter, I seen someone do that. I would like to know what they think.

Quick Reply: MAC Headers Installed ! - comments