Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problems

Old 04-15-2005, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problems

i just recently installed a tc in my 00 z. i used a tci sf3000. well the problem is that when i come to a stop the car will sometimes shut off. then when the car is idling the rpms go from 1000 to 500. have any of you seen this problem. or know how to fix it. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

hey thanks for nothing. i thought this place was to help each other out?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you must raise your idle a bit
you have few options

1. go to a dyno shop that does tuning, theyll be able to do it
2. find a local guy with HPtuners / LS1edit, that is willing to do this for you for some small payment / beer/ whatever
3. buy HPtuners and do it yourself (a 2 minute thing, really). http://www.hptuners.com/

good luck
Old 04-21-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redhotz28
i just recently installed a tc in my 00 z. i used a tci sf3000. well the problem is that when i come to a stop the car will sometimes shut off. then when the car is idling the rpms go from 1000 to 500. have any of you seen this problem. or know how to fix it. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
it all depends where your idle is set for the drive position with ac on/off. Personally, the raise the idle thing is a quick fix but you can also adjust some of the tables (im not really sure for i have no experience but just relating wat i have read) and the idle will correct itself.

Also, i ahve read that this is a normal thing when it comes to new converters, just see wat happens and take care of it......i would say wait about a week or so....

good luck, we are here to help but sometimes people feel that simple questions or inquires are best found with the aid of the good old search buttom.....but wateva, ask anyways, its more fun that way!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car did that too at 1st. Especially if I had the heat on. There's no easy way around it, a tune is necessary to fix it. With the lower rotational mass over the converter it spins more freely. The car is trying to adjust idle but it spins down so rapidly it kind of jumps around (searches) for the ideal idle. A good tune will fix that.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
My car did that too at 1st. Especially if I had the heat on. There's no easy way around it, a tune is necessary to fix it. With the lower rotational mass over the converter it spins more freely. The car is trying to adjust idle but it spins down so rapidly it kind of jumps around (searches) for the ideal idle. A good tune will fix that.
hey thanks to all that helped. i did try to find something in the search area but didnt see anything that related. so you suggest the hp tunners or what else. once again thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redhotz28
hey thanks to all that helped. i did try to find something in the search area but didnt see anything that related. so you suggest the hp tunners or what else. once again thanks guys.
as i stated earlier, the _quickest_ and _easiest_ fix is just to raise your idle a bit. (so it idles at a higher rpm than before). it'll fix it.

BUT, its sorta a hack, a "bandaid" if you will.
For the "true" fix, you must play with a few values accessible from HPtuners and ls1edit. But I can't help with that, perhaps somebody who's more knowledgeable with tuning can.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Smile

I needed my idle adjusted (along with other things) after my TC install. I had it dyno tuned. The explination I received is this:

The performance converter is usually a smaller diameter than the stock unit, causing the rotational mass to be different, causing the vehicle to stall at idle.

SteveC

Search this Thread