Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continual Charing problem

Old 04-15-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Continual Charging problem

I have had both the battery and alternator tested and they both passed.

The battery posts are fine, the wire that is screwed onto the alternator is securely connected, and the 4 wire plug is in the alternator correctly (just 1 wire used though).

I do have an amp connected to the battery, but the low voltage happens with or without it connected.

Right now, when I start the car, it sits about 13.5v, after about 15 minutes it drops to 13.0v and will sometimes touch the red area on the gauges, but that's the lowest it has gone so far. It randomly jumps up to 13.0v (once it goes under it). When I give it throttle it comes up a bit, but eventually goes back down.

Any ideas?

Last edited by WstSidHomE; 04-15-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is crazy. have you just tried to disconnect the amp from the system, just for a day or so to see if that is the problem. that is where I would start. kinda wierd though. somthing is draining the battery that is for sure. what is doing it is another mystery. hope that helps.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FST99Z
that is crazy. have you just tried to disconnect the amp from the system, just for a day or so to see if that is the problem. that is where I would start. kinda wierd though. somthing is draining the battery that is for sure. what is doing it is another mystery. hope that helps.
I'll pull it off just for good measure tomorrow, until I get this sorted out. The only other thing I can come up with is that the alternator doesn't perform 100% when up to operating temperature, which is maybe why it passed the vatozone test since it was cold. Sometimes I hate my car.

But other times I love it Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

Matt
Old 04-16-2005, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah the only other thing I think it could be would be the alternator. maybe the regulator has gremlins or somthing. I will keep thinking and I hope you get it sorted out.

Search this Thread