Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum valve plug for AIR removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 06:00 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vacuum valve plug for AIR removal?

I looked at this article and saw that a vacuum hose would be left open upon completion of the removal of the AIR system. I will be installing race headers on a military base tomorrow morning, and I'm wondering what I need to plug this? I'm also wondering if I can plug it at a later time. In other words, will this cause the brakes to weaken significantly due to the vacuum leak?

TIA.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

They make little rubber vacume hose caps. I think I got mine from Napa. You could probrably even stick a screw in it of you wanted.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget to pull the two fuses for the A.I.R. pump when you remove the system.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Don't forget to pull the two fuses for the A.I.R. pump when you remove the system.
Hmmm. Does it matter if I disabled it and the codes? I didn't pull any fuses...but nothing blew up and I have no codes either.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:50 PM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
They make little rubber vacume hose caps. I think I got mine from Napa. You could probrably even stick a screw in it of you wanted.
Could I find such a thing at like AutoZone or Pep Boys or something? Is it a standard size or is there a one-size-fits-all, cone-shaped cap, or do I have to know the size of this hose?

And, if I don't cap it right away, are there any serious detrimental effects to worry about?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

They usually come in variety packs (size wise) and should be pretty easy to find. I'm not sure on the size, maybe 3/16" or so. I'm not sure how the car would be affected leaving it uncapped. If you can't find any of those caps just grab anything you can to plug it temporarily and order some caps from Summit.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never pulled the fuses, just turned off the codes in the PCM. Shouldn't hurt to pull them though.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just always go the extra mile ... had a wiring harness burn up because an unneeded circuit was not disabled and it got up against the exhaust and ground a couple of wires out ... one just happened to be the hot lead from the AC that had been removed from the vehicle ... probably wouldn't happen again in a million years, but, that experience made me overly cautious. Not really necessary to pull the fuses ... just keeps the circuit live is all.