Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration at 3500 RPM - Please Help

Old 04-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at 3500 RPM - Please Help

I had a new LS6 engine built last September by a Corvette race car driver who competes in the World Challenge GT. My corvette is an automatic. There is a vibration at 3500 RPM in all gears, including when the car is revved in nuetral. This suggests that there's an issue with the engine. I am assuming that the LS6 short block was balanced at the factory yet maybe not. The heads are AFR 205 and cam is the G5-x3. Can anyone tell me how serious this condition may be? What might be a possible fix? I am hoping the builder will provide some warranty to fix the problem. What could happen to the engine if the vibration/harmonic is not corrected?

I appreciate everyone's input.

Paul
Old 04-16-2005, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Something else to consider, seeing that you are an auto...It may be possible that the vibration is coming from an imbalance in the torque converter...Also, take a look at all the accessory (power steering pump, a/c, etc) brackets and make sure that something is not loose or cracked...

Vibrations that occur at a certain rpm are, as you say, usually harmonic related...I would think that an imbalance in the engine would show up more as a roughness, than a vibration...

Also, make sure that the harmonic balancer has not loosened itself up...That thing is supposed to have the nut torqued to 350ft-lbs or something like that...

I am running a G5X3 and the only vibration, so to speak, is just a lumpy idle...Other than that, the engine is a smooth as silk...

Good Luck...

Peace...Gman
Old 04-16-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree about the torque converter bit
Actually, I'd place a $20 bet that that is what it is

very simple fix too... but you need to drop the tranny (obviously) for it

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration at 3500 RPM - Please Help