Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunder vs Standard Dynomax bullet

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet Thunder vs Standard Dynomax bullet

What kind of sound difference is there? I was thinking about maybe swapping my 18" Dynomax bullet on my Rumbler catback for a Sweet Thunder 18". I'm curious what kind of sound difference there would be, and also how the custom location and size of the chamber comes into play. Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had both mufflers on true duals. Completely, utterly, totally different sounds.

dynomax = drone and farty (bad)
sweet T = deep, clean, mean, tough, argh! (good)

Not to mention, the sweet T's gave me about 1.5 inches more clearance. You'd be a fool not to make the switch.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have his old car haha...i got on it the other day and my friend was like "i thought you were an 03+ cobra but i didn't hear the supercharger whining...i was suprised it was you...it sounds amazing" it's the best sounding car i have ever heard...especially since i cut the cats off J...you should have done that a long time ago...it is a little louder but it doesn't smell much worse, if any
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Hey now, the dynomax bullets don't sound bad. That's what mine has (for now), and I have heard the ST's as well. I don't have any drone, and definately don't have what I would call a farty sound!

Sweet thunder's still sound better. Makes me wonder why i still havn't replaced my dynomax bullets with them. Oh yeah, that's right, I'm somewhat lazy and very poor.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which sweet thunders are you guys using? The Aluminized steel? Custome Upgrade Aluminized Steel? 304 Stainless Steel? or 304 Stainless Steel Custom Upgrade?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

I swapped the resonator on my LOUDMOUTH last summer. Still loud and deep but a lot throatier than before. I'm very happy with the sound. Sounds good with a A4 trans but sound even better with a M6.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the 18" 304 stainless steel (not the custom upgrade). 3" OD with a 2.5" ID.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

For those that have had both, do they suppress the sound equally, or is one quiter than the other??

I added a couple of 12" bullets from Heartthrob to my tailpipes to quiet my exhaust down. I have a center mount exhaust so you canot see them. I bought these bullets because I got them locally. I may try the sweet thunder 12" resonators. Just wondering how different it would sound.

The 12" bullets did quiet it down and it does sound good. It does not sound the same though, kind of a whooshing quiet. I am thinking the sweet thunders would sound better?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem with the Sweet Thunder's is that the biggest inside diameter they make is 2.5".
Old 04-18-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

take a look at them sweet thunders
and take a look at the greatest catback ever, the GMMG

HMMMMM

yes, i do say HMMM

take a look at the greatest stock catback,
the 1969 Camaro factory chambered exhaust.

yes,
then look at Stone0fFire's catback.
he knows whats up.

what they all use is a straight-through baffled pipe.
although many people call them "chambered"
even though they have one less chamber than the single chamber flowmaster

but yes, at 2.5" inner diameter,
two mufflers in parallel is needed.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fasteddyss
For those that have had both, do they suppress the sound equally, or is one quiter than the other??
I've had both. I'd say decibel wise they are the same. One is not louder than the other. They just sound completely different. I know that's a vague answer, but it's the truth. No other way to describe it.

Originally Posted by fasteddyss
I am thinking the sweet thunders would sound better?
Yes! No doubt about it. Get them, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Kind of pulling up an old thread but has anyone compared the Pro-Flo Twisters to the Bullets and the Sweet Thunders?
Old 05-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Although ST sound great, the big hinderance to power is the fact they are 2.5" ID. Granted 2.5" can maybe support up to 400rwhp. Anything above that and the power will get robbed. If you want to maximize power, 3" ID is the way to go.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

'Nuff said!

Btw: My Dynomouth got nothing but compliments... Definately not 'fart sounding'.
I've had folks with Borla, GMMG, LM, Blowmaster, etc... ask how to get their cars sounding as good as mine.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get nothing but compliments as well w/ my dynomouth. Damn that other muffler really necks down in there!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

yes the baffled necks down to 2.5",
but consider that the GMMG is 2x2.5",
where the dynomouth is 1x3", isnt it?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

I am getting ready to redo my whole set up and I have two Sweet Thunders waiting to get installed . I am going to run them all the way back over the axle, I also have FLP high Flo cats and the inlet side is 3" while the oulet side is 2.5".

I am planning to run a 3" pipe from my headers to the cat and 2.5" all the way back from then on. Is that constriciting myself if I am planning on adding heads and cam later on? Is there an "X" pipe that is recommended or should I have the exhaust shop fab one up?

sorry to hijack taintedmeat but there are some people here that seem to know what they are talking about
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

I've had my TSP Duals for about six months now and the drone at low rpm's is stomping on my f*%# last nerve. So i bought the 18" Sweet Thunder custom upgrade to run my duals over the axle. There is a post on here that shows the math on how a 2.5" exhaust will support 450 rwhp which is fine for my "street car". ( If this is incorrect, please explain the math for those of us who don't know.)Don't get me wrong now, the Dynomax bullets sound outstanding at idle with my cam, i get alot of compliments when i pull in places. But driving at low rpm's in traffic gets old, quick. So i'm hoping these ST's will fit the bill running them out the back. Next monday i'll post up a sound clip when i get back from the exhaust shop. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just adding my .02.
Attached Thumbnails Sweet Thunder vs Standard Dynomax bullet-polished.jpg  
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stark
I've had my TSP Duals for about six months now and the drone at low rpm's is stomping on my f*%# last nerve. So i bought the 18" Sweet Thunder custom upgrade to run my duals over the axle. There is a post on here that shows the math on how a 2.5" exhaust will support 450 rwhp which is fine for my "street car". ( If this is incorrect, please explain the math for those of us who don't know.)Don't get me wrong now, the Dynomax bullets sound outstanding at idle with my cam, i get alot of compliments when i pull in places. But driving at low rpm's in traffic gets old, quick. So i'm hoping these ST's will fit the bill running them out the back. Next monday i'll post up a sound clip when i get back from the exhaust shop. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just adding my .02.
You Suck! I hope to have some custom ST's later this month.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet Thunder!! They sound like a 5.0 on my true duals under 4krpms. Over 4k is a different story, can you say NASCAR? I had bullets before and the ST's sound way better IMO....

Kevin

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder vs Standard Dynomax bullet