Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Just Cammed My Firehawk And Owned A Jetta Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just Cammed My Firehawk And Owned A Jetta Turbo

I just finished the cam install on my '02 Firehawk and was on the test drive with my fiance. The cam is a 220/224-.563,.563-114. I have an ASP pulley Shaner S3 tb, few other details and plenty of BLING mods. Anyway, we'd only driven a total of 20 miles and hasn't been tuned yet, but the difference in power is without doubt. We rolled up on a new turbo Jetta that had custom paint, rims, wing, and exhaust. I pulled up next to him in third gear @ 80mph and motioned that I'd like to run. He had his girl with him and shook his head no. I still flored it and powershifted 4th--completely leaving the scene. Down the road he pulls up next to me and says "let's go". His lane is clear, but mine has a car in front of me . He nails it and I downshift and wait for him to pass the car in front of me, when he does I blow past him around the other car slamming 4th gear as I go past and put about 2 bus lengths on him before 4th gear is done. He pulls up next to me and gives me a peace sign and I catch the exit. Not much of an opponent, but I was glad to get any run with my new cam. It was fun.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Good kill.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

wish i had gears to play with.... A4...................................
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Cant wait to get my cam. Going in for H/C next month...
Old 04-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

Talking

The cam has been the best performance money spent so far. Also, if you don't have a pulley yet I highly recommend getting one. Be careful about going way to big with the cam without gears because my throttle response is more mushy under 2,000 rpm and I think I LOST power below 1,500 rpm, but I gained MUCH more up top! If my cam was for example:232/239- I think with my set up it would be more of a dog than a pleasure. The shorter the duration the more throttle response you have in the "normal" rpm range. I kept the lobe separation wide enough (114) so when I add the 'blower next year I'll be able to keep the cam I have.
By the way: I have a stock cam for sale-- $1.00 plus shipping!

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 04-18-2005 at 03:36 PM. Reason: poopy spelling
Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
The cam has been the best performance money spent so far. Also, if you don't have a pulley yet I highly recommend getting one. Be careful about going way to big with the cam without gears because my throttle response is more mushy under 2,000 rpm and I think I LOST power below 1,500 rpm, but I gained MUCH more up top! If my cam was for example:232/239- I think with my set up it would be more of a dog than a pleasure. The shorter the duration the more throttle response you have in the "normal" rpm range. I kept the lobe separation wide enough (114) so when I add the 'blower next year I'll be able to keep the cam I have.
By the way: I have a stock cam for sale-- $1.00 plus shipping!
Did you do the install yourself? How long did it take? Just wondering if I could get it done in a weekend as this would be in the DD. And good smackdown on Mr. Fast & Furious.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by viper1
Did you do the install yourself? How long did it take? Just wondering if I could get it done in a weekend as this would be in the DD. And good smackdown on Mr. Fast & Furious.
I started Friday night tearing it down, had the cam stabbed Saturday night before I went to bed, and buttoned up by 5pm Sunday. Did it myself with my fiance holding up the AC condenser when that needed an extra hand. Did all of this with a raging head cold.
Also, this morning on the way to work I put 1.5 bus lengths on a new 350z from a 2nd gear roll with him getting the jump. I let off about halfway through 4th gear because it was looking ugly at that point. At the light he said he was paying $537 a month for his Z. I never drive my 'Hawk, but it is sunny out today and well.....