Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tci 3500 or 3000 (repost)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tci 3500 or 3000 (repost)

Running 3.43s out back on my GTO and was thinking of going w/a tci3000, but I've read a few people tell me to try the 3500 isntead...

now is it worth the small amount of extra cash for the 3500?

will it drive the same as the 3000 in the city?

any significant gas mileage losses?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

I have the 3500 and my buddy has a 3000 on his WS6. The 3500 hits harder, but when both were untuned, mine would lock up about 5-8 mph later than his. With tuning, this is varied depending on what setup you will ultimately go with. The 3500 has an STR of 2.5, whereas the 3000 has it at 2.0(or right around there).

I don't think there is any significant gas loss issues, as again, once it is tuned. I think in the end you'll want the higher stall, because you will always want to go bigger.

As for price, look around. IF you look in the back of mags like GMHTP and Hot Rod, if you look for the company ad, they sell the TCI units for about $120-$150 less than what is advertised from most retailers. That's where my buddy got his from. The price between the two is pretty much negligible.

Don't forget the trans cooler and shift kit
Old 04-19-2005, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick the converter you want... Then go a size bigger .

The 3500 is a good street converter. It is slightly loose but really doesn't effect drivability. A good tune will be needed to adjust shift points and at the same time you can adjust lockup to pretty much whatever you want.

My car locks up in "D" at 60 and in "3" at 45. which is a little high but helps drivability with a cam.

Mileage is very negligable. It really isn't noticable unless you start romping on it more, at highways speeds it drives like stock.

I got a ssf3500 and I want bigger, just a little.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Pick the converter you want... Then go a size bigger .

...I got a ssf3500 and I want bigger, just a little.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Depends on what your trying to get.
Are you trying to get a TRACK car?
STREET car?
Little of both?

Are you looking for a better/harder/more torque launch?
That's what a torque converter is for, the harder launch.
The converter will also help with shift extension compared
to stock.

Think about these scenarios:

Right now I assume you have the STOCK stall in.
From a stop, floor the gas pedal in a 1 second time period
NOT 1/10th of a second(definate tire roaster). IF you spin the tires
then you will DEFINATLEY roast the tires with either
converter.

From a 25mph roll, floor the gas pedal. IF you get
a chirp from the tires, you will spin them with either
torque converter.

From a 40 mph roll, floor the gas pedal. With either
converter you will improve here as both will stall
to their rated stall(which is higher than stock) where
you have more torque in your RPM range. Therefore
more torque applied to the wheels, accelerating
you faster.

I don't know what other mods you have.
With either converter you will need drag radials if you
want to launch from a stop. you already spin the tires
from a stop with the stock stall, any aftermarket one
will just spin them worse.

IF you are a STREET car and want "near" stock driving
then get the TCI3000. The difference in your quarter mile
times between the 2 would probably be around 2-3 tenths.
However the TCI3500 would be much harder to launch
and keep traction. If you are on the street, I think
the TCI3000 is best for you. The TCI3000 will be easier
for you to keep traction from stop and slow roll. It will
drive slightly closer to stock VS. TCI3500.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2005, 11:52 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have very good info on this subject...Kevin Winstead is the guy you would wanna talk to if u do buy a TCI converter,he is TCI's LS1 tech and a very smart guy.I recently purchased a 04 GTO and didnt wanna ruin the car becuase its such a joy to drive.I was very adament about going with too much verter in this car so I called Kevin up and we discussed my plans for my GTO.

I told him 12.50's were about it for my car and that I didnt wanna lose drivability,I was leaning towards the TCI3000 w/a 2.2 STR and he told me this was there off the shelf unit and he didnt reccomend it for the GTO.He told me becuase of the 3800lb weight of the GTO it would be wise to step up to a CUSTOM BUILT 242937 which is his SSF3500 but to tighten it up to a 3000 version with BILLET COVER and BIGGER HD LU CLUTCH.

He said the 3000 would be perfect in a GTO given its weight and would flash stall to 3100 and knock off at least .5 in the 1/4 while remaing very very streetable.

I would call Kevin and talk to him,he does not recomend the standard SF3000 or SSF3500 for the GTO,I drove the TCI3000 and it pulls away from a light w/about 300 more rpm but u can brake stall it to 2200 and it will flash right to 3100.Its awesome and for a GTO I Think its the right verter for a daily driver.If your GTO Is a weekend toy then go 3500 but make sure u get the BILET cover/HD LU Clutch option with either verter.

Call Kevin......

Last edited by JS; 04-19-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Put simply: The 3500 will stall a little higher, give a harder hit to the tires, and feel a little looser on the street. The difference at the track will not be 2 or 3 tenths, but closer to a tenth - if you get traction. I have the 3000/2.2 and have driven a 3500/2.5. I went with the 3000 because I didn't want a harder hit to the tires and I wanted a tighter feel around town. I'm having a hard enough time getting this one to hook with my Nittos ...
Old 04-19-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JS
I have very good info on this subject...Kevin Winstead is the guy you would wanna talk to if u do buy a TCI converter,he is TCI's LS1 tech and a very smart guy.I recently purchased a 04 GTO and didnt wanna ruin the car becuase its such a joy to drive.I was very adament about going with too much verter in this car so I called Kevin up and we discussed my plans for my GTO.

I told him 12.50's were about it for my car and that I didnt wanna lose drivability,I was leaning towards the TCI3000 w/a 2.2 STR and he told me this was there off the shelf unit and he didnt reccomend it for the GTO.He told me becuase of the 3800lb weight of the GTO it would be wise to step up to a CUSTOM BUILT 242937 which is his SSF3500 but to tighten it up to a 3000 version with BILLET COVER and BIGGER HD LU CLUTCH.

He said the 3000 would be perfect in a GTO given its weight and would flash stall to 3100 and knock off at least .5 in the 1/4 while remaing very very streetable.

I would call Kevin and talk to him,he does not recomend the standard SF3000 or SSF3500 for the GTO,I drove the TCI3000 and it pulls away from a light w/about 300 more rpm but u can brake stall it to 2200 and it will flash right to 3100.Its awesome and for a GTO I Think its the right verter for a daily driver.If your GTO Is a weekend toy then go 3500 but make sure u get the BILET cover/HD LU Clutch option with either verter.

Call Kevin......

thanks for all the help, i'll definately call and see if they can do soemthing specific for my GTO, my car is much heavier than the fbodies, so I bet that'll take effect, I weighed in at 3850 at the track w/ 1/4 tank of gas