Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25K miles and water pump needs replacing..

Old 04-19-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25K miles and water pump needs replacing..

Let me run down what has happened over the last two months.

Driving home from work one day. I notice the temp gauge is slowly climbing. Before I could make the 15 minute drive home my temp gauge is all over the place. At a stand still engine temp would be close to redline and as I'm driving it would be all over the gauge.

Checked my coolant level when I got home and the resoviour dipstick only had a dry caked on mess of coolant on there. Had to beat it against the concrete to get it off. Went toWalMart bough some Dexcool, filled her up and all was fine for about a month.

Next, same symptoms start appearing. Theres also a faint smell of burning coolant when I drive. Pop the hood and can't locate the smell anymore and do not see any leaks. Never once did I see pools or drops of coolant on the pavement or on the K member. So off to WalMart again to buy more Dexcool and top her off.

THe car is still under warranty so yesteday I take her to the dealership for them to investigate the problem. Got a call today and they said the water pump was to blame. They are having a replacement shipped today and I should have my car back tomorrow. I was in the middle of some buisness so I couldn't ask any details. I can honestly say I don't care too much,as long as its covered under warranty and I don't have to pay anything.

25K miles on the car and this is the only problem I have had so far. I guess I am fairly lucky.

Anyone know how long the stock pump should last? It may have just been the gasket but like I said as long as I'm not paying for it, I'm not worried. Just thought I would let anyone know who may have future problems. Any feedback welcome.

Search this Thread