Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny starting to whine.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tranny starting to whine.

Well I say its the tranny, it sure as hell sounds like its coming from right underneath the shifter. Doesnt really do it unless Im going kind of slow and barely have my foot on the gas and cant hear it in 4th, 5th or 6th only 1st 2nd and 3rd. I had the fluid changed out on it and that seemed to make it better but it still does it some. Should I worry about this or not??
Old 04-20-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it's not the rearend? I know this may sound stupid...but i had that problem about a year ago (back when i was still taking my car to the dealership...we won't even go there!!) anyway, they checked it out, and told me it was my transmission. They replaced it, 'cause they couldn't find where it was coming from. Not even 5 minutes after i pulled out of the garage with my brand new transmission, it started whinning again. I took it back, and then they diagnosed it as the rear end ring and pinion whine. It was the exact same sound as you are saying, whine in the 1st few gears, when you barley have your foot on the gas, and sound slike it's coming from under the shifter. I dunno man, that's what it was on mine...

Tris
Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does the same thing, but it does it when I downshift into 1st when in neutral when I'm rolling to a stop. Wonder if it is the rear end? May want to post this problem in the rearend section.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
Are you sure it's not the rearend? I know this may sound stupid...but i had that problem about a year ago (back when i was still taking my car to the dealership...we won't even go there!!) anyway, they checked it out, and told me it was my transmission. They replaced it, 'cause they couldn't find where it was coming from. Not even 5 minutes after i pulled out of the garage with my brand new transmission, it started whinning again. I took it back, and then they diagnosed it as the rear end ring and pinion whine. It was the exact same sound as you are saying, whine in the 1st few gears, when you barley have your foot on the gas, and sound slike it's coming from under the shifter. I dunno man, that's what it was on mine...

Tris

Well I guess it very well could be the rear end but I swear it sounds like its coming from directly under the shifter. My car has never had the rear end fluid changed so I guess it could be that. I had a similar whine on my 96 LT1 car but it would only do it on turns. I had a gear put in it and it went away but you could definately tell it was rear end. Ill check out the rear and see what happens. Thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine sounds like its directly under the shifter as well. I am also pretty sure the rear end fluid hasnt been changed at all either. Was going to add royal purple when I put the T/A cover anyways, but I'll let you all know if the whinning goes away with a fluid change.

Edit: A similiar topic has been posted a few posts down and it seems the wine might actually be from the tranny and be normal, aftermarket shifters may make the wine more noticable. Topic