Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix, question about how your injectors are designed to work

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Racetronix, question about how your injectors are designed to work

OK, well I got an email back from Ken at HP Tuners and my corrections were going the wrong way, this is what he said.

"The problem with increasing the injector size on a stock motor is the injectors will start to misfire in the idle range.

All injectors have a minimum allowed pulse width based on flow rate and fuel pressure.

Going below this limit will cause the injector to not open"

From my logs, this makes sense. The more fuel I take out of the car, when the o2s read rich for too long, the car stumbles. I take it the pulse width is getting too low. Now do your injectors have any kind of minimum pulse width where there could cause some issues? If I would have known this a while back it would have helped. The thing is everyone is telling me they should beable to run on the stock engine. I think the way I had my older tunes set up, not running so rich at idle, could have effected this seeing everyone else runs some higher negative numbers at idle -10 or -8 where I was at about -2. So maybe after the cam install, and a higher demand for fuel, I can get the pulse width to be high enough so this wont happen? Does this make sense or no?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for asking this question, I just recieved my 36# injectors from Racetronics this week and and trying to learn everthing I can before installation.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

im trying to get info going in another thread i have, hopefully somethign good will come out of it so this can all be put to rest
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.racetronix.com/

i scrolled down till i found the 60# high Z injector:

http://www.racetronix.com/L107FM.html

and i found this:

Offset: 0.055ms, Turn on time: 1.14ms @ 14VDC, Turn off time: 0.85ms @ 600KPa
i donno what "offset" means... but id imagine that if the turn on time is 1.14 and the off is .85, id imagine 2ms would be the absolute min time for them... but im not a expert.

i did read on here somewhere that if the injector pulse goes too low, the PCM will group them together so that it has a larger pulsewidth...

so i just loaded up HPtuners and took a look... there is a min pulsewidth table.

try changing it to atleast 2ms, and see if that helps:

heres a pic of where i found the table:
Attached Thumbnails Racetronix, question about how your injectors are designed to work-untitled2.jpg  
Old 04-21-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dynamic Flow Rate @ 43.5PSI (300kPa) = 8.63 gm/pulse - 2.5ms pulse width and 10ms repetition rate

i found that on the 38#ers, if i can figure out what to change and exactly what to do that would help. thanks for that information, it helps a lot. looking at my injectors right now they were running 1.8 to 2.0 ms at idle. now if someone here can anylize this information and let me know the proper changes to make i would love it

i really am not too clear on making changes to these tables so i dont want to test it if you know what i mean.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

i wouldnt hesitate to change them... its only the min injector pulse.. and this is exactly the problem you're having.. put in a 2.0 or even a 2.1 across there, and see if it idles better... if it does, great... if it doesnt, you can always set it back..
Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok so maybe u understand this talbe more than me, since its at 1.277 do i change both to tables? the min and default? raise this up to tell the computer "hey these injectors cant go this low"? and what about the others short limit and adder? do you know anything about these?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

ken had said something about making sure the injectors arent misfiring, do you or anyone know any information on this?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
ok so maybe u understand this talbe more than me, since its at 1.277 do i change both to tables? the min and default? raise this up to tell the computer "hey these injectors cant go this low"? and what about the others short limit and adder? do you know anything about these?
if it was me, id play with it.... theres not much else i can say..

i dont have the injectors in hand right now, athough these are the ones going into my car... so im very intrested in it.

its only 30seconds to flash, so id change just the min injector pulsewidth first... and see if it corrects itself by not going below the "minimum"...

its one of thoes try and see things i suppose...... also one of the reasons id love to have a injector swap database... because theres more to them then just one table..
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
ken had said something about making sure the injectors arent misfiring, do you or anyone know any information on this?
they ARE misfiring....

think about this:
to make a injector flow more, you make it bigger... well bigger weighs more... so it moves slower... it cant react as fast.

at the tiny pulsewidths that worked fine for the tiny stockers (tiny in comparison) the injectors are becoming irratic.. not behaving as designed...

you cant give them a pulsewidth that low.. peroid.... so tune around it... have the PCM give the fueling with a longer pulsewidth, less often.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

ah ha i got ya. im gonna cut the lawn then ill try something
Old 04-21-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

so what it sounds like is when i take too much fuel out of the car, it doesnt inject as much fuel. so when it reads its rich it pulls fuel to the point where the injectors "misfire". adjusting the low pulse would keep them from dipping this low but i would still be left with my rich condition at idle, if this is true and is the case then adjusting the pulse limit would keep it from going too low but would leave me rich how i am now, i would have to demand more fuel at idle, ie cam and heads, for them to work right down low?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

have you actually modified the tables, started the car, and messed with it?

or are you just thinking out loud?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

thinking out loud right now, i just got done with the yard work, just wondering if this will still leave it rich
Old 04-21-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Did you try this yet?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

nope not yet i have some dynamics hw i have been working on it is prob gonna have to wait til this weekend, hopefully racetronix will reply too. i will post up as soon as i do it though
Old 04-23-2005, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Results?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm about to break in this guys house and try it for him. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

i havent even got to go on a ride yet so i havent been able to try, i adjusted the tune with the pulse widths the same and my car is idling fine now, i just have to see if its rich, then i have to adjsut the pulse widths, i dont have my license so i cant just go and test lol wish i could though
Old 04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

im gonna try and change it and let it run outside and see if it chagnes, the only time i can get accurate data is when its been driven but ill try something