Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E vs 4L80E

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E vs 4L80E

hi i am still kinda new to this site and i am a total newbe to chevy engs and trannys i am looking to drop an ls1 eng in a 92 camaro and i think i have that covered but i don't know much about the tranny end. i was looking at both the 4l60e and the 4l80e but was was not sure what to run. i am looking to make this a track car but something i still use as a daily driver. i am looking at having it push about 800ish hp with a turbo and nos. i also have one last question what is a Powerglide? if i am not mistaken it is an tranny? and if so would that be another possable choose
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just learning trnnies right now myself as mine is getting bad. What I have learned is that the 4L80E weighs about 85 pounds more than the 60(i think), is larger, eats more power but also handles a lot more. You do not want a 4L60E unless it's a heavy duty (expensive) unit from somebody like FLP or Rossler. I'm sure rossler could build you waht you want with a 60E but it will cost you. Have you considred a TH400 (turbo 400)? That is my lead choice right now. It's a very tough three speed auto. It's okay for a street car as long as you get the right valve body. If you search around on this site there is a fiar amount of info on them. Yank either offers or is about to offer a kit that comes with most of what you need for about $2,500.

Edit: Oh yeah, ti is only three speads, no overdrive and no lockup without spending more money. If you do much highway driving you probably dont want it.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Powerglide is a 2-speed that came out in the 50s. A lot of drag racers use built versions at the strips.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the help there guys i am going to be doing at least an hour of highway driving every day that i drive the car so guess that is not a good pick. this is what i plan on doing with just the eng i would like to get at least 450hp out of her and then about another 200ish with a trubo and then maybe like a 75 shot of nos but i plan on stroking it at a later time. what would you guys go with for my tranny. it has got to be an auto i am sorry i hate stick. i do about an hour on the highway every day 30mins both ways and driving around town also. what tranny would be my best bet. i would like to get the car to run at least 11s with out any nos and maybe with out the trubo also
Old 04-22-2005, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you do a turbo you really want low compression. Without a bigger displacement motor Your not going to have 450 rwhp on motor. There is really no need for nitrous with the turbo. Use a boost controller to vary the boost for different fuel octanes. It would be very expensive to build that type of setup to daily drive on. To fit an 80e on that car would mean doing some extensive metal work on the tranny tunnel. The powerglide uses a 350 case with different parts and is a 2 speed for hardcore drag cars. You might just look into a built up 60e. The 400 has crappy street manners and no overdrive, although a company called gear vendors sells one that works with a 400 to give you overdrive. It all comes down to how much you have to spend.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help there guys. i am thinking of just going to stick with the 4l60e tranny and maybe doing a stage 3 build when i get the money. i plan on doing all this with in a 2 year span. but i want to do it right get the parts i need right off the bat.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Whatsup man. Have you heard of the 700R4? Its I think mid 80s to 90s Auto 3 speed w/ overdrive, It has an electric engaging overdrive (to turn overdrive on and off). I havent explored the world alot myself but they do have conversions/computers/modules or whatever to hook up to it for OD.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shandy294
Powerglide is a 2-speed that came out in the 50s. A lot of drag racers use built versions at the strips.

I have a friend that runs the super gas class and he has this to say about powerglides: They are good for cars that have high torque, but low weight. Such as a dragster or a gutted out big block chevy running 8's. I wouldn't consider it for your application...
Old 04-22-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I am just learning trnnies right now myself as mine is getting bad. What I have learned is that the 4L80E weighs about 85 pounds more than the 60(i think), is larger, eats more power but also handles a lot more. You do not want a 4L60E unless it's a heavy duty (expensive) unit from somebody like FLP or Rossler. I'm sure rossler could build you waht you want with a 60E but it will cost you. Have you considred a TH400 (turbo 400)? That is my lead choice right now. It's a very tough three speed auto. It's okay for a street car as long as you get the right valve body. If you search around on this site there is a fiar amount of info on them. Yank either offers or is about to offer a kit that comes with most of what you need for about $2,500.

Edit: Oh yeah, ti is only three speads, no overdrive and no lockup without spending more money. If you do much highway driving you probably dont want it.
BLK hit the spot right. Just my 2 cents to convice. You do not want a 60E, Unless it is really well built from someone like FLP that **** will blow. And the 80 is virtually buillit proof, you will never blow that thing. But will ron some of that power.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Teching In

4l80e is better the 4l60e cant take abuse......thats what ive been told...
Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
BLK hit the spot right. Just my 2 cents to convice. You do not want a 60E, Unless it is really well built from someone like FLP that **** will blow. And the 80 is virtually buillit proof, you will never blow that thing. But will ron some of that power.
yea but the only prob is that i am going to be driving her on the highway at least an hour every day
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilobyte
yea but the only prob is that i am going to be driving her on the highway at least an hour every day
I don't see the problem with that. Both the 60 and 80E have lockup and overdrive. As long as you arne't looking at a Th400 the highway shouldn't be a problem.