Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

drill mod done, and now...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drill mod done, and now...

the clutch feels MUCH looser than it did without the drill mod. it feels more like a 01/02 f-body clutch than a stiff 00 clutch did (how it felt like before). it also engages about 4 inches off of the floor instead of about 2. should i adjust the master lower to the ground, or is this supposed to be result of doing the drill mod?

also, as i bled the system, the clutch came back off the floor. before, when i pushed it down and bled the system, it'd stick to the floor and you'd have to pull it back up. normal?

Last edited by tuffluck; 04-22-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

no one knows if the drill mod makes the clutch pedal lighter/softer?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know i'm not the only one out there that's done the drill mod before.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

I know my clutch is softer than my stock one was. I have a spec 3f, 01+ master, and drill mod... not much help. But I was surprised how soft it felt. also my release point is on the upper part of the motion as well.

EDIT: think about it for just a few minutes. You removed a restrition in the hydraulic line. What do you think it would do? Of course it will make it easier to flow so it would feel softer.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

brandon, that makes sense. a problem i see is that when i look at my master installed, i see a puddle of brake fluid underneath it. all the connections look good and i'm not losing fluid though, so i don't know where that could have come from?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mines almost as soft as my old clutch when i did my drill mod. I went from a centerforce DF all the way to a RAM powergripHD stage IV. I thought something was wrong as well when it was so soft, but as long as the clutch is still engaging/disengaging, and isn't sticking to the floor now, then your fine.

also, my friend has an identical clutch to mine, but w/o the drill mod, it's like trying to move a brick compared to mine now! both still grab identical though. you're ok man

As for the brake fluid, did you spill some when you were bleeding/flushing air? that's not tottaly unheard of, ya know
Old 04-22-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm the puddle and the clutch sticking to floor when bleeding doesnt sound right to me. Mine didnt do that
Old 04-22-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i cleaned the puddle up, drove it for a bit, and no puddle. i think i just leaked some fluid and it all went down to that one area while bleeding. i'm also not using any fluid when i drive it around, which is a plus.

also, the pedal did not stick to the floor when i bled it, although when i bled it before i did the drill mod, it stuck to the floor everytime i released and then tightened the bleeder valve on the slave.

thanks for the help, i think everything is probably (hopefully) okay for now! the clutch isn't as light as an 01/02 clutch, but it's still light in comparison to my 00 clutch.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

The drill mod doesn't make your pedal lighter unless you get air in the system. Does it only feel softer when you're moving the pedal and feel hard again when you hold it still? Didn't think so.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by P Mack
The drill mod doesn't make your pedal lighter unless you get air in the system. Does it only feel softer when you're moving the pedal and feel hard again when you hold it still? Didn't think so.
I'm not following. The drill mod removes a restriction in the line. You block or pinch the line, go ahead, try to press in the clutch. It wont. Less resistance= softer,easier to press.. as minimal as it may be.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

A restriction can only provide resistance if the fluid is moving. I think you'll find the clutch is softer both when the clutch is moving and not moving. Meaning the problem is air, not a restriction.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Either I am tired or something but.. I still dont get it. You have to press the clutch to feel the softness of it. When you "press the clutch" you are moving fluid whether or not the disk is moving.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm pretty sure that the pedal is going to be softer after the drill mod is finished.

we bled the clutch 10 times or so, and about the last 4-5 times the stiffness in the pedal did not change, which usually indicates all the air is out of the system.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just didn't pay enough attention before i put my clutch in, but my car seems to sometimes need a little work to go into 1st and reverse. i don't know why, but it's a bit notchy to go in, and it doesn't just slide in those gears. i thought my car was always this way, and maybe it was, but my friends car is not the same, and it's simple to get the car into any gear. i just can't decide it my clutch isn't fully disengaging, or if that's just how my transmission is. anyone have any idea?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i just didn't pay enough attention before i put my clutch in, but my car seems to sometimes need a little work to go into 1st and reverse. i don't know why, but it's a bit notchy to go in, and it doesn't just slide in those gears. i thought my car was always this way, and maybe it was, but my friends car is not the same, and it's simple to get the car into any gear. i just can't decide it my clutch isn't fully disengaging, or if that's just how my transmission is. anyone have any idea?
Notchy could be the slider keys, syncros, or the clutch not disengaging completely. Maybe you do need to bleed it again?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

I did the drill mod when I had my Z06 clutch installed along with the updated 01-02 slave cylinder. The drill mod doesn't really make the pedal softer. The better slave cylinder does. I drove an 02 car once that was bone stock, and it had the exact same pedal feel as mine does now.

Jason
Old 04-24-2005, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've talked to several peeps with the same setup as mine, and they all agree on pedal feel. maybe i just didn't have it right the first time?

and i think the clutch is bled right. i think my gears were always slightly notchy, to be honest. i won't put too much blame on the clutch.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't worry about the clutch sticking when you bleed it (like when you're pumping it). It's normal. Just like when you bleed your brakes.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well that's the thing...it didn't stick to the floor after i did the drill mod. it stuck to the floor when we bled it before the drill mod, but afterwards the pedal came right back to me.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

so what do you think it means if first is really simple to go into from a 5mph roll, but takes a small amount of effort to be put into from a stop? i surely can get it in there with no ease, and in fact, it might be the same as it was before the clutch install, but i just can't figure out what this may mean?