Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual Exhaust System

I'm trying to make my true dual system with a dr. gas x crossover and sweet thunder mufflers. Does anyone know what sponsor or any other site that might carry these parts for my 01 ss m6. Also I'm getting QTP headers.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered Sweet Thunder 18" mufflers for my set-up. Just go to Yahoo and search for Sweet-Thunder. It will bring up the web site. Then you just call the number and order them over the phone. It cost me $111.00 for two shipped across the country. As for the X-pipe, once again search under Yahoo and call the number from the Dr. Gas site. I have a local guy fabbing my X/H-pipe (whichever I go with), and it's going to run me $30-50. By the way, Sweet-Thunder also has X-pipes if you wanted to get your set-up all from the same place.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Sweet Thunder Website

I am looking into these too. They're awesome from what I've heard.

LS1sounds.com has sound clips and stuff. Its under true duals. Check em out. Good luck w/ the true duals.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Stainless Works (sponsor)------------------>
also makes x-pipes and chambered mufflers.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I just ordered Sweet Thunder 18" mufflers for my set-up. Just go to Yahoo and search for Sweet-Thunder. It will bring up the web site. Then you just call the number and order them over the phone. It cost me $111.00 for two shipped across the country. As for the X-pipe, once again search under Yahoo and call the number from the Dr. Gas site. I have a local guy fabbing my X/H-pipe (whichever I go with), and it's going to run me $30-50. By the way, Sweet-Thunder also has X-pipes if you wanted to get your set-up all from the same place.
hey man thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Teching In

hey guys while a thread on TDs is open....i have some newbie questions because im new to this thread and just bought an 01 ws6. so ive heard so many good things about true duals exept i dont exactly know what they are. are true duals a type of exhaust made by diff. companies or are they just custom made exhausts??? also, what are the diff. components to a TD syste? and whats the diff between dumping it at the axle or going over..??
Old 04-23-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

A true dual exhaust for our cars is just a type of exhaust. Instead of having manifolds/headers bolted to the engine and a Y pipe joining the 2 into a single pipe, true duals are 2 independent pipes. The reason they are called true duals is because the factory single exhaust uses a muffler with dual outlets to give the car a dual exhaust look. True duals can be run in 3 basic ways:

Dumped- exhaust stops right before the axle and has tips pointed downwards to help reduce interior drone, this is the deepest, best sounding setup but is the loudest

Over the axle- exhaust is run all the way out the back but runs over the axle

Under the axle- same as over the axle, but exhaust is run underneath the axle, this is the easier than over the axle because our cars have very limited room to run pipes over the axle on the driver's side

To see some pictures of a true dual setup dumped, go here: http://www.lanesperformance.com/custom_duals.html

Hope this helps. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Jason
Old 04-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Teching In

awesome, those are some nice pics. so which company makes the best true dual exhausts system?? and does a dumped setup sound raspy at all (like a 70s muscle car-*tap tap tap*) b/c iI want the loudest deep rumble....
Old 04-24-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

No, a dumped system does NOT sound raspy like an old truck with straight pipes or glasspack mufflers. The X pipe really helps this out, no popping on decel or anything of the sort. It's a very deep, ground shaking type sound. At WOT, it really screams. Ricers and Mustangs will fear you. As for the company that makes the best system, Lane makes the best. That was his site I referred you to (www.lanesperformance.com). His kits are all custom built, come fully welded with good clamps (not like the D clamps you get from a typical muffler shop), and fit very well, no tweaking necessary. They also tuck up very nicely. I lost less than an inch of clearance all around from the stock setup.

Here is a thread I started that has pictures of my stock exhaust and true duals to give you an idea of what ground clearance is like on a non lowered car. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/305452-lane-s-td-s-pics.html

Jason
Old 04-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Teching In

how does GMMG rack up against a true dual system(dumped) in terms or sound quality, loudness, fitment raspyness, etcc....???
Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOW BIG OF A PIPE CAN YOU RUN UNDER THE AXLE FOR TRUE DUALS. i HAVE A SET NOW BUT I REALLY WANT MINE TO GO ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK. I HAVE 3" NOW AND I WANT TO STAY WITH 3" CAN I?