Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

HpTuner vs. Predator custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HpTuner vs. Predator custom tune

Here is the question.

I have the ASA (226/236 0.525"/0.525" 110 LSA) in and I need a new tune.
Shall I go with a new Predator (RWTD) custom tune or there's a Guy who would tune my car with HpTuner.
Which one would give me a better tune?

The thing is I know nothing about HpTuners (that's why I posted this thread) he would charge me like 150$ and it's done within like 2-3 hours as I was told.

On the other hand James (RWTD) previously did a good job my numbers were 357 rwhp - 376 rwtq with the same setup with the stock cam. So I have faith in RWTD I'm sure they can get the job done.
But it takes time testing the tune sending back the results (O2 voltage LTFT's etc...) again and again, and I've been waiting for the new tune for 5 weeks by now and their site is still closed.

Last edited by TheHun; 04-22-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Launching!

Ttt Ttt
Old 04-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Anybody with HpTuners out there who could chime in and tell me something about this subject?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

Since you have an M6, you can probably get good results from James. And the price is better. But I found he doesn't do very well with A4 issues, hence why I bought HP Tuner. On the upside, if you did have this guy custom tune it for you, the resutls should be a little better, and then you could tweak his tune from there if needed with your Predator.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hp tuners will give you full control of the pcm tables, but knowing what to set them to are all up to the end user.

So like woodworking, you can have a full woodworking shop, and still make crappy cabinets compared to the ones available at home depot for about the same price. However, a talented woodworker will have cabinets that will make the home depot cabinets look like crap. It is all in how you use the tools.

Ryan
Old 04-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Nice analogy! Tuning and cabinets go hand in hand
Old 04-23-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was j ust an example of something that is up to the craftsman to make it good, not the tools used.

Ryan
Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPTuners hands down. I guess I'm biased but I find it to be a lot of fun to be able to tune my own car.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Teching In

I started out using RWTD, thought it would be good enough. I do have an auto car and I must have recieved three or four tunes and none was any better than the stock tune, converter would lock at different times, ran super rich, hunting for a idle, so on and so on. So I took the hit in the wallet and bought HP tuners and I'm glad I did. It took some time to learn how to use it, but their is NO WAY I would even consider using any preditor again. RWID's web site doesn't even have the GM section anymore!!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

I take it your talking about the tuning forum ?
The GM section is or should be there still. After being closed down for many weeks while they relocated they finally started opening the forum up. There is a new schedule which is mon-tues Ford, Wed-Thurs GM so this is more than likely why the GM section is not there yet, I assume it should be back up tomorrow.
I also am using a Predator and am also one of the unfortunate who has been waiting for a custom tune. Like mentioned above it does not matter whether you use HP Tuners, LS1 Edit, etc..it's the tuner who makes the difference. I had heard alot of good things about RWTD's custom tuning abilities which was one of the reasons I decided to go with the Predator which I bought used. Main reason being I don't have time to screw around with learning the software and the trial and error of tuning my car. I think those of you with kids will understand what I mean.
I also did not want to spend the extra money for a wide band o2 or EGT which imo are necessary for proper tuning. The idea of having someone who does this for a living tune it for me sounded good especially since the mods I have planned like headers, tq converter, and the 224 cam everyone seems to be running. To me it would seem a place like RWTD should have a tune for each and/or combo of all these pretty much nailed down by now.
So here I sit with the headers in the car and waiting for my custom tune which I needed 2 weeks ago. It sucks being at the mercy of someone else but I can't complain too much since this is the choice I made .
The way I look at it is this, once tuned it's done until you decide to change something else. So if you're not going to make any changes again real soon it's not a bad way to go. You can always buy used or inexpensive software for diagnostics. If this guy is tuning your car on a dyno then $150 sounds like a great deal to me.
just my .02
Old 05-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Teching In

SLPSS01, you're right about everything you said, I didn't really think about the GM section being open on wed and thurs. I simply chose the path that I'm currently on. I'm in NO WAY talking bad about RWTD's ability to tune. I'm sure James would have gotten it right.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddysSS
SLPSS01, you're right about everything you said, I didn't really think about the GM section being open on wed and thurs.
Well no I was wrong. It's now May 17th and still no GM forum.