Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2bar MAP discussion, come on in

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2bar MAP discussion, come on in

I have been contemplating this for awhile regarding 2-bar MAP. GM makes compatible 2bar MAP sensors that would fit our cars right? And from what I am reading, the voltage output from low to high seems to be about the same. Is it possible to replace your 1bar MAP with a 2bar, and re-work your stock VE table focusing on the low half of the table. Yeah, you would lose half your resolution, but it would work wouldn't it? (Not for me with my poopie 98 secondary VE table...but still) I just find the concept intriguing.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i'm pretty sure it'd be possible but it would take a lot of tricking the pcm to pull it off. Since there is an upper limit on the ve values the pcm will accept, you can't just double the ve values, rework the lower half, and have the units still be accurate. You'd end up having to halve the ifr tables and modify your spark tables cause the g/cyl axis would be off, and probably some other stuff too. So yeah, it'd be possible to get the fueling right but it'd probably be a tuning nightmare since you'd be working with stupid units like (2 grams)/cyl instead of grams/cyl.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P Mack
Yeah i'm pretty sure it'd be possible but it would take a lot of tricking the pcm to pull it off. Since there is an upper limit on the ve values the pcm will accept, you can't just double the ve values, rework the lower half, and have the units still be accurate. You'd end up having to halve the ifr tables and modify your spark tables cause the g/cyl axis would be off, and probably some other stuff too. So yeah, it'd be possible to get the fueling right but it'd probably be a tuning nightmare since you'd be working with stupid units like (2 grams)/cyl instead of grams/cyl.
Yeah, I was thinking that halving the IFR would be the easiest way to do that. It sounds like a PITA, but no worse than a lot of other tuning issues.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see having to only work on the lower 1/2 of the VE table, but i do not understand why your VE values would need to be doubled.

Ryan