Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing ignition key cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing ignition key cylinder

i am replacing my ignition key cylinder. what do i need to do to get the old cylinder out, removing the whole steering column? has anyone ever done this
Old 04-23-2005, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

I have done it on older cars if there is a small hole located on the face of the cylinder where you put the key in. Then what you do is turn the key to the on position stick a pin in the hole to disengage the holding mechanism and pull the assembly out by pulling on the Key some cars you need to be in the ACC poison and others the start position if it is the start then make sure you disconnect the bat.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

the gm book says i have to remove the steering column to replace the ignition cylinder. anyone ever removed the steering column? im having trouble actually getting it out, all the bolts are removed.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

I don't remember having to pull the whole column. What I do remember is having to remove the air bag, steering wheel, lock ring and then there is a small bolt holding the lock cylinder in place. The only thing you need to be careful with is the air bag. You don't want to get hurt. Disconnect the battery first and let the car sit for 10-20 minutes. This way the SRS system will fully discharge (so says the manual). You'll need a steering wheel puller and lock plate remover.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was about to have to replace mine as well for the security bs, but found the proper resistance and wired in some resistors.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by snake charmer
i was about to have to replace mine as well for the security bs, but found the proper resistance and wired in some resistors.
whered you add the resistors exactly. i tried it on mine and added between the connectors, did you actually cut into the wires? my rig didnt work, i thought the trick was a myth. but when i removed the key cylinder i found a wire had actually broken off.

Quick Reply: replacing ignition key cylinder