Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does N20 tune= worse gas mileage and less power when NA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default does N20 tune= worse gas mileage and less power when NA?

One of the reasons I decided to go the N20 route was I wanted the stock driveability anytime I am not racing. this includes gas mileage. I was just thinking about this yesterday as I was pumping $2.54 per gallon gasoline into my tank. Cost me well over $30 to filler' up. And I am thinking to myself man I think it was a darn good thing i didn't go H/C route b/c I am assuming that my gas mileage would go down a lot if i bolted on a 430rwhp H/C setup.

But than I got thinking ya know I have to go get a dyno tune for the N20 and in particular I want it to be a safe tune b/c I need my car to last and I was thinking this means that they will probably tune it to run rich. Doesn't this mean worse gas mileage and less power when off the N20?? Actually when on it too although power won't be a problem when on it.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

wet shot or dry shot? if you're worried about power loss, get a timing tuner and have it retard your timing when you are spraying that way you can run full timing while you're NA.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Its a TNT F1 kit, so wet shot. Thats a good ida with the timing tuner, are they expensive? How much HP loss are we talking about anyway?

I am actually more worried about gas mileage...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

I am not positive about this as I have not researched it any but I am guessing that you are not going to get as much of a clean burn in the cylinder using a N20 spark plug as it has a colder range than a N/A plug. Now whether or not this will truly affect the mileage enough that you will notice I could not say. Try doing a Google search on N20 mileage effects and see what pops up. Cheers !!!

Jim C.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Since I only use the nitrous at the track, I just have 2 tunes that I can load into my car via HPTuners, one NA and one N2O. The NA is about 12.8:1 AFR with added timing and the N2O is at about 12.0:1 AFR (might even try going a bit richer) with stock timing tables for my 100 shot. I get better mpg with the NA tune .
Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

See I don't understand how you could get better gas mileage on a richer tune? richer means more fuel and more fuel = less mileage...?? Maybe its the reduced timing that comes into play to save the fuel?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm 12.8 afr is more lean than a 12.0...so he is saying he gets better gas mileage on a leaner tune
Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

if you're running a wet kit, the AFR tuning should be done through your fuel jet jetting. you shouldn't have to mess with your fueling tables, and if you do, it shouldn't be much. and if you did mess with your fueling table it should only be for WOT not normal driving so your fuel mileage shouldn't really be affected much with the exception of colder plugs and timing reduction. but if you used the timing tuner, you would only have the timing reduction while using the nitrous.