Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Poly Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Poly Motor Mounts

Well I've been having problems with my headers banging arround for a while now and finally got sick of it. I purchased some Prothane motor mounts and tranny mount from www.thunderracing.com and installed them today! Tearing things apart I found that my stock motor mounts had pretty much come to the end of their service life. yeah they still worked, but they were cracked and worn and they had seperated from the metal so the engine was flopping around a little. Man all I can say is it's a pain in the *** to do. If you like laying on your back with one arm wrapped arround the headers and the other arround the K-Member trying to wrench on a bolt that you can't see then this is for you! LOL!! Anyway I just thought I'd let you guys know that the poly motor mounts are Kick ***. The car sounds so much different inside the cabin it's awsome. Not only that but no more banging of the headers, and the power is delivered much quicker to the wheels which is something I was looking for! I love them. Here are some random pics!

old motor mount. You can see where it was failing.

You have to seperate the old casings so they can be reused!

New Poly mount compaired to the stock mount! They are much bigger!

New Poly mount installed in old casing!

New and old compaired. Obviously you can tell which one is better!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also noticed the way the power seems to transfer to the ground faster... I wasn't expecting that, but it was a nice surprise! Glad you like them...
Old 04-25-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Resident

Hows the vibration? Any more felt through the steering wheel, dash, floor board, seat, etc. Any new rattles?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

No rattles or shakes! You can feel the motor running through the whole car now. I love it! I guess some people wouldn't like it, but my car has a 110 lsa cam in it and I want it to shake as much as possible! LOL!!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

I have an unopened box of those motor mounts in my garage. I just can't imagine how you can take the old mounts off with so little clearance. I dread the ay when I put them on. I would think that taking the headers off might save some wrenching. How long did the insatll take? Which side was easier to install? Any time saving tips?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the motor mounts work anything like the poly trans. mount/s i've had in my car .... after they break in, their shouldn't be much increased vibrations or noise. I'm thinking about puttin these in this summer before I throw the tr230 in.

How many miles were on those mounts when you pulled them out?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

I just got done putting a new motor in my car and did the mounts while the motor was out. Its a 400+ cube motor with a bigass cam and the car doesn't shake as bad as I expected it to.

I got mine from thunder also but they were black in color....other then that they looked the same
Old 04-25-2005, 04:45 PM
dug
Banned

How hard do you think it would be to change the mounts if the heads and headers are off the engine?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

With the exhaust out of the way it would be a little easier, but the angle of the bolts dosn't really interfear much with the headers! Time saving tips? Not much! You have to remove the AC compressor and mounting bracket, and the alternator. Then you just put a floor jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan, (so you don't crack it) and remove any weight from the motor on the mounts. Unbolt everything and jack the motor up so you can jimmy the mounts out! It's a teadious process, but worth it!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

You have a tubular K member or stock? I have the BMR and was hoping it would help.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

You inspired me to take my passenger side mount off tonight. It was a pain taking the top right motor mount bolt off. It is positioned at an odd angle. Took the alternator off and that helped a ton.

Where did you get those bolts holding the clamshell together? Did you loctite the mount to engine bolts before reinstalling the mount?

So on the pasenger side, you took off the compressor? How about the starter? Was that side easier?

I will tackle the other side tomorrow and reinstall the updated mounts.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

The bolts came in the kit from thunder racing. Drill out the rivets that hold them together to 3/8 and just go to Lowe's (since I work there) and get some bolts and locking nuts. I didn't use any glue since they press into the mount! I have a stock K-member unfortunately! The BMR should free up a lot of room for you. Not to mention you won't loose bolts and crap in the K member! Damn thing! LOL!! The passanger side is much easier! I left the starter in since it wasn't in the way!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
If the motor mounts work anything like the poly trans. mount/s i've had in my car .... after they break in, their shouldn't be much increased vibrations or noise. I'm thinking about puttin these in this summer before I throw the tr230 in.

How many miles were on those mounts when you pulled them out?
96k miles! They wern't too bad, but things wear out over time!