Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous/cam or heads/cam???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous/cam or heads/cam???

I am about 3 weeks away from doing a heads cam swap into my GTO, but I am beginning to think a bit differently for a few reasons.

I am weighing my options now between the 2 setups.

RevX custom heads with a RevX custom grind cam(undecided) clutch/flywheel and all the install costs
or
RevX cam with a 100-125 shot

A big part I suppose is the cost. I can always add the heads down the road, but I could also add nitrous later. WHat do you guys think? Should I just do the cam and an NX kit with all the accessories?

My car surrently has intake and exhaust only, but headers are on the way. If I did the nitrous with a cam should I get a new clutch/flywheel also? So many options and I am just wondering what your input is.

Any help is appreciated! I figure I will spend about $5,000 on the heads/cam setup installed or about $3,500 on the cam/nitrous installed. Those numbers are guesses, but ballpark I suppose

Also, about how long will the stock clutch hold the power from the cammed/nitrous setup? Track maybe 2 times a month, 5 runs each time. Bottle probably won't be used on the street.
Thanks

Last edited by TrakDay; 04-25-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i was going to do heads and cam, and i'm all for it if you have the money because it's a nice reliable setup. However spraying is a good bit cheaper for the power you get, and it's just as safe if it's installed correctly. So it all depends where you want your power in my opinion and how much power your willing to settle with. With nitrous your going to have to wait until it kicks in whereas with heads your going to have that power right away. The nitrous will definately make more power than heads or just as much, depending on what jet you use, most people are running a 150 with a new fuel setup.

As far as how long with the stock clutch last... not long at the track... but it might hold on the street. im not sure if the gto's come with the ls6 clutch or not. if you have that then you should be fine for a little while on either setup in my opinion
Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 AM
9 Second Club

I am thinking this way I can build my car up in stages also. I like the fact that the power won't be there all the time, makes it easier to drive in rain! Not that I really care. Just don't htink I need all that HP all the time yet!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes it makes it very convienient to have the power when you want and when you dont want it.. please feel free to pm me if you have any questions regaurding nitrous systems and or possible setups you are considering. Good luck