Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help? installing slp rockers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy need help? installing slp rockers!!!!

Im installing a set of slp 1.8 roller rockers, they look exactly like the yella terra rockers. just put the new heads back on the car put the rockers on tightened the rockers till there was no play in the pushrod then torqued them down to 22ft lb. dont know if i did this right dont want to put the valve covers back on till i know it is right. couldnt do the method of opening and closing the valves bc like i said just put new heads on the car along with new lifters, pushrods, oil pump etc........ besides the internals rods, pistons, crank, everything is changed...
the rockers are all on the car now and torqued down to 22 ft lb and some of the rockers i can lift up over the valve but there is no play in the pushrod???
Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one part about your description that worries me is the statement about being able to lift the end of the rocker with your finger! Did you follow the steps from www.ls1howto.com correctly?The SLP rockers are not copies of Yella Terras. They are copies of Harlan Sharps except they're anodized silver instead of orange. Plus, SLP charges $500 for the SAME Harlan Sharps that cost $320!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
The one part about your description that worries me is the statement about being able to lift the end of the rocker with your finger! Did you follow the steps from www.ls1howto.com correctly?The SLP rockers are not copies of Yella Terras. They are copies of Harlan Sharps except they're anodized silver instead of orange. Plus, SLP charges $500 for the SAME Harlan Sharps that cost $320!
I believe i paid $400 for them... didnt really know how to explain what the problem is, not that i can pick it up off the valve but you can tap down on the the rockers that are not being held open and they tap, the ones with tension dont move..... the heads and lifters were taken off the car all that was left was basically a bare block.. the how to is if you already have existing rockers on the car and are changing them. something about find the cylinder with both the intake and exhaust valves open... but in my case that wont work because i took everything off the motor. i have heard that once you get one cylinder set you just tighten and torque down the rest, im just really confused on how to do this.. everything was like a walk in the park, just dont want to make more problems for myself if i dont do it right the first time....
Old 04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rockers are suppose to have some play in them. When u tighten down the rockers u are puting preload on the lifters, Once u start it up the lifters pump up with oil and take that slack out. When i did my lifter i rotated the engine till both valves were closed u can see both pushrods are down for that clylinder. i torqued them to 22 ft lbs, then i rotated engine for each cylinder. After i did all of them i rotated the engine a few times and went back over them just to make sure they were torqued.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Launching!

thanks, mabye i will give that a try. couldnt hurt and better safe then sorry
still dont have the valve covers on waiting till i can get my pully back on cant seem to find a longer bolt anywhere??..