PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning VE for larger displacement?

Old 04-25-2005, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tuning VE for larger displacement?

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster I usually hang out a lot on CorvetteForum but this seems to be the place to get technical information. I have been reading a lot over the last few days trying to get a better understanding of VE and IFR tables.

If I understand correctly, I should correct for large problems in LTerms using IFR -- if my LTerms are positive, decrease IFR by that percentage, right?

Also, if I understand correctly, the LTerms will rarely be off by the same percentage across the board, and this is where VE tuning comes into play. Tweak your VE table in the right RPM based on where your LTerms need increases or decreases -- right?

One thing I can't seem to find an answer on is what, if any, adjustments should be made to VE based on displacement. I have a turbocharged 383 stroker on my C5, and I'm not sure if I should be tweaking VE by some percentage to accomodate for the extra displacement, or if the displacement value I've entered into LS1Edit accomodates for that automatically (e.g., VE is relative to that displacement value and since I've already tweaked it, I'm OK).

Thanks for any help

to the tuning gods of LS1Tech
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that entering in the bigger displacement per cylinder will automatically adjust the ve table. Further tweaking should be done after this point to dial the car in. I think you have a pretty good idea from what you posted about how to get done.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no do not make changes to the IFR table. this tells the computer how much the injecotrs flow and you shouldnt tell the computer it flows more or less than it really does

any tuning changes for fuel trims should be made to the ve table, period. in hp tuners there is a table where you put in cyl volume, your volume per cyl in there should be 0.7838, which if i did my math right is a 383, but double check it.

just saw that u have hp tuners, if u cant make these kinda changes just tune the ve, there shouldnt be any kinda scale to it just tune it til its right, its all on how much the car wants with the ve table. if u can make these changes for cyl volume then do that and then log and make any changes to the ve if need be
Old 04-25-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the ve tables in ls1edit were in units of volume, not a percentage. I may be wrong though, i've never used it personally.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never used or seen edit either, maybe he can let us know
Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, the VE table in LS1Edit is in units of volume... but if your LTFTs are off by a certain percentage, then scaling the units of volume in the affected area up or down by a percentage should combat the LTFT problem
Old 04-25-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, my point was that i think you'd have to change your ve table in edit for a stroker because ve is in units of volume. But in hptuners since it's a percentage all you have to do is change the number for displacement. I think. Anyone out there tuned strokers in edit and hptuners?

By the way, I was responding to your last paragraph, not the second.

Search this Thread