Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hand sanding AFR heads??

Old 04-25-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hand sanding AFR heads??

i was just thinking about smoothing out the CNC lines in the AFR heads i have, maybe. i would imagine it would be best to take the valve out and do it that way but i dont have a valve spring removal tool so i cant do that and i really wont wanna mess with it.

would it be a good idea to hand sand in there as far as i can reach, then clean it out really good? if so what grit paper should i use, if not then i wont touch them lol. i just wanna smooth the lines out some

tony if you read this let me know what you think?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Naw forget about doing that by hand and with the valves in. You will never get all the grit out with the valves in, and the bowl area that you can't get to is the most important. Also consider that you have 16 of these ports with about 10 different surfaces on each to smooth = 160 things to smooth! You won't last through all that doing it by hand. It's bad enough with a good air die grinder.

A NAPA spring tool is only about $10 and a die grinder $30; get the tools and do it right.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i was just thinking about smoothing out the CNC lines in the AFR heads i have, maybe. i would imagine it would be best to take the valve out and do it that way but i dont have a valve spring removal tool so i cant do that and i really wont wanna mess with it.

would it be a good idea to hand sand in there as far as i can reach, then clean it out really good? if so what grit paper should i use, if not then i wont touch them lol. i just wanna smooth the lines out some

tony if you read this let me know what you think?
Absolutely no need...

The CNC program we run has extremely fine "stepover" levels. Minimal airflow is found near the outer edges of the ports anyway (boundary layer of air is what this is referred to).

All your doing is taking a chance of slightly messing up the countours I spent so much time designing....especially in the short turn area where you will find it might be difficult to get at.

The 205 heads on my own car are just the way the came right off the CNC.

Find a better outlet of the energy you want to spend "romancing"....smoothing the CNC marks will net you nothing and there is risk involved if not done correctly.

Enjoy the new heads...

Tony M.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice car-luv the red
Old 04-26-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys, yeah i didnt know so i figured i would ask. i wont touch them then, ive read about people doing this on other heads so i figured i would ask. thanks again, should be going in in about 2 weeks or so so we will see how it all turns out
Old 04-26-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that was funny .... All your doing is taking a chance of slightly messing up the countours I spent so much time designing... lol
Old 04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Full-Force
that was funny .... All your doing is taking a chance of slightly messing up the countours I spent so much time designing... lol
yeah, well thats why i asked him, noone knows better, i get bored and start to think, but i ask before i make a $2000 mistake lol

Search this Thread