Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Arms and TPIS Oval Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arms and TPIS Oval Throttle Body

So i picked up a copy of chevy high performance today and was reading through it and found an article on some new rocker arms by crane cams. They are the Gold-Race extruded aluminum rocker arms and i was reading and they sound like a great investment, though i'm still learning, what exactly do the rocker arms do for the car and also are these as good as they sound? Part II, i saw an ad for the new TPIS oval throttle body and it also sounds like it would be a nice add-on for my car, what does everyone think of both of these products? Also, if a get a FM14 cam in the future, will i need new heads (looking into the AFR 205's)?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

All info is in site: TPIS TB needs a TPIS modified LS6 intake:
http://www.tpis.com/

And CRANE/VINCI rocker info is in there:
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/
And
http://www.cranecams.com/
Old 04-28-2005, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...20PAGE%20.HTML explaination of how the rockers work.

my dyno results of swapping from the stock rockers to the vinci/crane 1.8 accelerated lift rockers.

dyno 9 before
dyno 11 500 miles later
dyno 14 10 months later
Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Wow, really seems like it makes a noticeable difference. Did you feel the difference?
Old 04-29-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

yes i did from the moment i picked the car up and drove it. with autos, it's easier to notice the soggy low end torque the ls1 has until about 3000 rpms. at that point, you start to feel the 'pull' of the motor. what i noticed is that 'pulling' started at around 2500 rpms. here's the track results.

before 13.158 @ 106.86
after 13.054 @ 107.32
this goes right with the dyno 9 vs dyno 11.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even standard ratio rockers are supposed to be stiffer than the stockers and make sure you get all of the lift from your big cam.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...20PAGE%20.HTML

an cut and paste from vinci's tech and tuning page and how stock rockers work. also how the accelerated lift rockers work as well.

VHP and Crane Cams have been working with each other for many years. Together, we have strived to provide the very best products we can with the latest technology available. We think, we design, we manufacture, we test....then we market the product. It seems that there has been much confusion about Crane/Vinci "Quick-Lift" cam lobes and "Quick-Lift" rocker bodies. We claim that the use of the Quick-Lift lobes with the Quick-Lift rocker bodies results in "effective valve lift" durations @ .200" valve lift equal to most other cam/rocker combinations using cams with 4-8* more duration at .050" cam lift. This is the result of the Quick-Lift Rocker body design. We do not state that our cam lobes (by themselves) give this advantage. The same laws of physics that limit every other cam designer limit our cam lobe designs. We attribute the advantage in valve lift to the "translation" properties of the varying ratio design of our Quick-Lift rocker body design. If you don’t believe us, test any cam lobe (Crane, Comp, Cam Motion, etc.) with stock LS1 rockers. Install a dial indicator on the retainer and a degree wheel on the crank. Plot a lift vs. degrees of rotation curve. Then install the Crane LS1 1.7 rockers (with the pushrods in the Crane kit) and plot the same curve. Measure the duration at .200" net valve lift. The Crane rockers will definitely provide more duration at this checking point. The reason for this is that, contrary to popular belief, the stock LS1 rockers are only 1.7 ratio above .480" valve lift. They actually start the valve off the seat at a 1.54 ratio. What do you think that ratio does to a "super fast" cam lobe? Slows it down quite a bit? The Crane rockers, properly installed, bring the valve off the seat at 1.79. Doesn’t take a math wiz here to see what combination is going to get open quicker and longer!! If you really want to see something interesting, take two lobes that have identical .050" seat-to-seat timing, identical .200" lifter rise timing, but one provides .583" valve lift with 1.7 ratio and the other providing .551 lift with 1.7 ratio. Plot a lift vs. duration curve with any rocker you want (other than Crane) and measure the duration at .200" valve lift. Then do a plot of the .551 cam with 1.8 Crane rockers (this will net out .583 also) and measure the duration difference at .200" valve lift. You will be impressed by how much more this second plot gives over the first. It’s also quicker on the drag strip! We’ve done this. Every person reading these threads can do something like this.