Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

7-0 so far...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 7-0 so far...

hey, wats up ya'll, just got back from another night of having some fun and there are a few things i would like to see wat ya'll though.

first, i just got the 408ci (about 591/553 on an engine dyno with a ls6 manifold and 28 degrees on timing) with a ss3600 stall, 42lbs injectors, headers and a loudmouth, stock rear 3.23 (yeah, its crazy loud but i love it!!!) blah blah blah...

Also, im running on sorry *** kumho's all around (245/50/16) the back are almost gonna, the left tire is smooth while the right is as smooth or worse..they look like slicks almost...i now, getting a new set this week...

Anyways, so far i've had tons of fun with the new setup. I cant hook for my life until third...first and second are kinda useless unless i feel her through. I have raced a few rides and ive had pretty much the same results...

03 civic turbo
96sh mustang gt on bottle (didnt say but had headers and pipes at least...)
m3 on bottle (also didnt say how much...these guys never want to talk...)
evo @20psi (probably more but didnt say much more than that)
03-04 cobra conv. (stock)
dodge magnum wagon (not sure...)
srt-4 @15psi (maybe more but not sure)

Also, i ran a 360 modena but i was behind since the start and i was creeping on his tail..

Ok, im not trying to glot, im as humble as i can possibly be, but i have noticed that im not pulling as much as i though i would. This is all through a mail order tune and i was told that i should finalize my tune for max wot. Also, this is all through the stock air lid, maf, bellows,tb, and ls1 manifold.

wats going on? Am i nuts in thinking that my ride is slow or are there factors that are not letting me see the kind of results i was excepting?

The biggest lead i have gotten is about two-two 1/2 lengths on all of those races. (for the exception of the gt, i pulled pretty nasty on him, but htis was one of the first races and my tires were still "ok") I noticed that i was pulling harder on the cobra than the srt-4....is this right? both races where from my second gear, on.....

im sure that i will eventually lose, it comes with the game, but should i get better tires? Tune?

Basically, i ask this because i have seen people post larger gains on similar cars while im not really seeing those typical gains...

I know its long so to sum it up..

cliff notes:
My car is fast, but im not seeing the kind of gains i thought i would see.
(see mods up top, tell my wats up...)

thanks

Last edited by obZidian; 04-27-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

you definately need a good tune, ported/polished TB and new intake..

with a fast 90mm/ nick williams 90 mm throttle body, and a good tune will really LIVEN the hell up out of your car...
Old 04-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Go to a track and find your mph and ET, thatll give you a better idea of how the car is doing
Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

i would love to but im a vert, have no roll bar and safety loop....

from other similar setups, 120mph is expected at least....
Old 04-27-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigBronco
you definately need a good tune, ported/polished TB and new intake..

with a fast 90mm/ nick williams 90 mm throttle body, and a good tune will really LIVEN the hell up out of your car...
thanks, wat do you think about the tires...should i get dr with the stock 10 bolt or hold off?

from your experience, which i know you have a sick ride(s), are these gains normal or a bit off?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Launching!

You can't compare how your car feels to street races. Some people just cannot drive,,and on the street anything goes. Dyno it and take it to the track.

A tune should help you out too, along with some sticky tires. It will be a world of difference to WOT off the line and hook through all gears instead of just 3rd. Also, as mentioned,,you need to open that engine up and let it breathe. I didn't know anyone still had a stock air filter

A few supporting mods for your set-up and tires and it should feel like a new car.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP
You can't compare how your car feels to street races. Some people just cannot drive,,and on the street anything goes. Dyno it and take it to the track.

A tune should help you out too, along with some sticky tires. It will be a world of difference to WOT off the line and hook through all gears instead of just 3rd. Also, as mentioned,,you need to open that engine up and let it breathe. I didn't know anyone still had a stock air filter

A few supporting mods for your set-up and tires and it should feel like a new car.
yeah, the stock lid is there because i was thinking about fi and i didnt want to waste any cash, though they are only 100 bucks!..still..

dude, i now wat your sayng but i just figured that i woudl destroy more on the street...i mean, i hve been sucessful but not like i though i would be...

i should get it dynos as soon as i change the oil (its only been 1k miles since the install) and get new tires...wat do you think about drs on a stock 10 bolt with this much power?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

drag radials are a crap shoot on these cars...but you have an auto and that will help a little. Just go with nittos and you should be fine for a while.

Nate
Old 04-27-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by taufern
drag radials are a crap shoot on these cars...but you have an auto and that will help a little. Just go with nittos and you should be fine for a while.

Nate
hey, do you mean that they are not worth it?

I see that you are heads and cam, wat kind of lengths have you put on similar cars, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by obZidian

03 civic turbo
96sh mustang gt on bottle (didnt say but had headers and pipes at least...)
m3 on bottle (also didnt say how much...these guys never want to talk...)
evo @20psi (probably more but didnt say much more than that)
03-04 cobra conv. (stock)
srt-4 @15psi (maybe more but not sure)
Both the Evo and SRT-4 driver were probably bs'ing about their boost levels. The Evo's stock boost is max of 19psi and the SRT-4's max is 15psi. It would make no sense for him to tell you exact boost if he was running stock. Chances are that they were running a bit more than they said they were. What were you guys shutting down at? "max MPH" The SRT's strongest gears are 2nd and 3rd so, depending on your shut down; I wouldn't have expected to put bus lengths on a modded SRT-4 too soon "from a roll", esp until your car begins to stretch it's legs.

I'm new to LS1's so, my theories are based upon experience with the SRT.

Seems to me that you owned a group of ppl who thought they were pulling wool over your eyes.

BTW...good kills.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

well, i hav NO traction in my second...against the srt-4 i probably shut down a bit over 100mph. Actually, we raced twice, dig nd roll. The dig was horrible, i spun all the way through second ans shut down because of traffic. I was pulling on him though...

the roll race i was spinning through second. however, at the top seond nd third i began to pull a few car lengths...but i felt the car still spinning tires still.

wat funny is that on the cobra, we took of on my second and a 3/4 through third, i had at least two-two 1/2 cars on him....

im my be just chasing my own tail but i wanted to see if ya'll saw something that i dont...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Im going to say this, I figued in 17% drivetrain loss and it comes to 490 rwhp and 458 rwtq. I dont know what it is but I have the only 408 that makes more tq than hp. Anyway I think you should have absolutely destroyed everyone you raced. I ran a modded out 03 Cobra putting out 500 rwhp on the highway and pulled his *** bad. I have ran an SRT 4 at the track and beat him by atleast 20 cars, no bs. I beat a lid, headers and 125 shot LS1 from a roll to about 140 and had a good car or so on him. Maybe your car is heavy as **** or something.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

u need to put the power to the ground a few suspension mods some great tires a new rear end and some breathin mods(intake) and u will have a bababad motha sucka
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Im going to say this, I figued in 17% drivetrain loss and it comes to 490 rwhp and 458 rwtq. I dont know what it is but I have the only 408 that makes more tq than hp. Anyway I think you should have absolutely destroyed everyone you raced. I ran a modded out 03 Cobra putting out 500 rwhp on the highway and pulled his *** bad. I have ran an SRT 4 at the track and beat him by atleast 20 cars, no bs. I beat a lid, headers and 125 shot LS1 from a roll to about 140 and had a good car or so on him. Maybe your car is heavy as **** or something.
those are the numbers i am hoping for with the intake done. I am a vert with an a4. Actually, its not that i won with them at my bumper no. Its just i fiured that maybe something that im over looking...

dont get me worng. The car feels incredible!!!!!!!!! The torque is there but the the lengths im beating these other cars by are not as big as i thought...Also, when you saypulled bad *** (cobra), by how much did you get him by> i ask because you said you beat a 15hp shot camaro by a car or so, so i would like to see the comparison since the cobra should of been faster.

i think that maybe im in the 12'z second range, but hopefully with a high enough MPH to get where i need (low 11'z). Let see wat happens with some dr'z..also, im gonna get on my gtec pro a see wat that says...

i would like to hear more if yta'll dont mind....thanks!!!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Def, you need to finish up your intake then work on the rest of the drivetrain to better put it to the ground and control it. Kick *** ride though
Old 04-27-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

thanks...hopefully i'll get some mula soon and see wat i can do. Been catching up on the expenses ever sinve the tranny went...1k, again!!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The Cobra I ran away from by a good 5-10 cars. I think alot of that run had to do with the driver but I saw his front lift so I know he was in it hard. When his front lifted I took off and just pulled away with ease so I dont know. People who know me and hom confirmed his mods and his dyno, thats why Im thinking it might be more driver. My powerband might be alot better than his as well, something else to think about. The sprayed LS1 I ran traps 119 mph.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely get DR's. Also, you should invest in a nice Torque Arm and some sub-frame connectors. BMR for the SFC's and Spohn for the TA....I believe that BMR makes a pretty decent TA as well. That should def help you out
Old 04-27-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

with a stock 10 bolt and this much torque, dont you think that my rearend is capable of smap, crackle, pop with dr'z?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

i just got the 408ci (about 591/553 on an engine dyno...

No offense man, you seem like a really nice guy, this just strikes me as very funny. Kinda like a 20-0 prize fighter naming his wins and one of them being someones 10 year old kid from down the street. Anyhow, good luck with the car, it should be insane when you get it tuned properly.