Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about temperatures

I work as a delivery driver and so I am always shutting my car off and restarting it a few minutes later. On hot days I've noticed that when I restart my car my fans come on and the needle on the temp gauge is past the half way point. It cools off as soon as I start driving. I checked my Carchip and it shows that my coolant temperature is between 230-240 degrees when this happens. Is that normal? Also, I don't know if this matters or not but this only started happening right after I changed my spark plugs.
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah shutting the engine on and off and traveling at low speeds makes the engine hot. The reason is, when you shut off the engine, there is still a lot of stored heat in the block, but suddenly there is no cooling, since the water pump is not turning. So the engine temperature will actually go up after you turn off any motor. Perfectly normal. You might want to leave the engine idling while you drop off a pizza.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
Yeah shutting the engine on and off and traveling at low speeds makes the engine hot. The reason is, when you shut off the engine, there is still a lot of stored heat in the block, but suddenly there is no cooling, since the water pump is not turning. So the engine temperature will actually go up after you turn off any motor. Perfectly normal. You might want to leave the engine idling while you drop off a pizza.
Thanks for replying. I try to leave the engine running whenever I can but on the marine base(where most of my deliveries go to) the parking lots are usually pretty far from the barracks and I don't feel comfortable leaving my car running without being able to see it.
Would getting a colder thermostat help?

Thanks again