Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Any Mechanics Out There? Need Tool Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Mechanics Out There? Need Tool Advice

hey all. im going to college in just 3 or 4 months here and im guessing im gonna be needing a lot of money for tools. So far all i have is a 130 odd piece craftsman tool kit. i love the tools btw. what else will i be needing for school? i work at a chevy dealership right now as a porter so i can get ahold of any tool salesman who comes in. id like to get ahead before i get in, that way its less stress for me. i made my own list of what i will be needing. if i missed something please please help me out and let me know what it is ill need. and from ive seen, snap on stuff is only worth it in the tq wrenches and air tools. if u disagree let me know why. thanks all!

i have..
shallow sockets
deep sockets
allen wrenches
1/2 in. socket wrench
3/8 in socket wrench

what i think ill need..
impact sockets
1/2 air gun
3/8 air gun
in. lb tq wrench
ft. lb tq wrench
Old 04-27-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm also in tech school and can tell you an air ratchet will save some time on bigger projects. Also just regular wrenches...sometimes a socket wont get to it and a gear wrench head is too big. If you plan on buying snap-on tools go through your schools rep. their is a link at snap-on's industrial, i think, website that will have a section for students. My discount was around 50%, so it definitely helps.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

A really good start is the large craftsman assortment.
Get a 1/2 inch impact
3/8 air ratchet is a must with our cars
Other than that you just kind of build up over time
Old 04-27-2005, 04:17 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
I'm also in tech school and can tell you an air ratchet will save some time on bigger projects. Also just regular wrenches...sometimes a socket wont get to it and a gear wrench head is too big. If you plan on buying snap-on tools go through your schools rep. their is a link at snap-on's industrial, i think, website that will have a section for students. My discount was around 50%, so it definitely helps.
http://www.snapon.com/student/
http://www.snapon.com/industrial/faq/general.asp
Old 04-27-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

try matco for a 52% discount on tools. the snap on deal works only on certain tools and kits whereas matco offers a discount on all tools. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SNAP ON AIR TOOLS. Ingersoll rand is cheaper, better, and has the same warranty.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

mac has a 55% discount for most schools/students. get the ingersol air tools.
1/2 impact
3/8 impact
3/8 air ratchet
1/4 air ratchet

you will also need prybars and screwdrivers, etc... also dont skimp on line wrenches, snap-on are the best (experience pays big here), and crows feet.

good luck, i hope you have a lot of patience(sp?)
kevin
Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Do a search. there are a few other guys that have asked about this.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like matco I havent met a snap on guy I can tolerate I do have snap on tools too though and they are great too. Matco doesnt hit your wallet quite as hard and They dont argue over warrentying that broken flat head you used as a pry bar. Ait tools are great, BUt the only ones I use regulary are 3/8 impact, blow gun, tire chuck 90 grinder with a zip wheel and my pencil grinder. I cant remember the last time I used a 3/8 air ratchet ( I do use my 1/4 air ratchet on occasion) If I cant fit my impact on it I probaly should do it by hand. you dont need to start off with 20k in tools build as you can get craftsman and sk (lifetime warrenty and slowly add and replace then you can take the old stuff home and have a work set and a home set. I see young guys with 10k boxs and 20k in tools 16k of witch they may use once or twice a year if ever and every week they give 80 % of their check to the tool man. I dont buy much anymore I look at as if Ive gone this long without it Ill be just fine doing the next one without it.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Launching!

GEt yourself a nice 380 pc craftsman set and Ball bearing box. Spent the extra money on the Inger Air tools, dont cheap out. For the air gun the 231 is like the staple of alot of mechanics. You can talk to alot of guys and they either have it, or had it and loved it. 3/8 drive air ratchet, and impact sockets. Its a good way to start. Dont dump ungodly amounts of money on Snapon and Matco untill you get your feet wet and have some time at the dealer. Honestly you never know if you wanna be a line tech your whole life. **** I am glad I didnt spend the extra money, I am tryin to get into the FDNY. Keep workin on cars as my hobby and for my friends.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Launching!

O and one more thing, if you do start with a Craftsman box, you can always trade it into the Snap-on guy or matco guy for a discount.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

ebay matco and snap on boxes are good deals thats where i got mine
Old 05-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

I started out with a 175 pc craftsman set, a set of metric and standard wrenches and a 375$ box from craftsman. Got me goin purty good. As above, a good air rachet and impact gun(get a 1/2 1st for lugs). I later started buying more tools and a year and a half later im a damn tool FREAK. Get an IR impact gun and to somewhere and pick up some stanley sockets. set is like under 50$ but has a lifetime warrenty. they should get u goin good till u figure out if u wanna plop down 250-350$ on a set of ones from the big 3. oh yea, and the all important oil filter sockets and such, cus ull change LOTS of oil to start with! lol

Just in the spirit of the post, heres what i started with to where im at now only 1.5 years later.

starter box

New box

Matt
Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

it also depends on what your gonna work on a lot of manufacturers have sugested tool list of the stuff you need to work on their junk

Quick Reply: Any Mechanics Out There? Need Tool Advice