Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsed Comp R Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Collapsed Comp R Lifter

Guys, I was assembling the valve train last night and noticed the number 8 intake pushrod sits about 1/2" lower then the other lifters sitting on the base circle of the cam. This is not good. This would also explain the ticking that was happening when the car was back together and the extreme amount of lash in that vale (we've all done stupid things but I doubt I would simply forget to tighten down the adjuster nut and the collapsed lifter would certainly explain the lash). It even cam out of the pushrod cup on my T&D rocker and wacked it a few times, didn't bend the pushrod though. I wander if the lsk lobes are beyond the capability of the comp r lifters (.651" lift on the intake). They wer setup with between 1/5 and 1/4 turn preload, with a cold motor, from the adjusting nut of the T&D rocker.

Anyway, I will be taking the passenger head off to check and see what has happened. Guys that have collapsed a lifter, what have you usually seen. Does the lifter puke it's guts out all over the motor or do most of the parts usually remain within the motor. I guess it is a case by case basis.

In any event it will be comming apart soon to survey the damage.

I may run solid lifters on this cam for a while because I am not sure I want to invest in new lifters or continue to run comp r's which may fail on me. I will ask around quite a bit before I do this as the hydraulic cams do not have the nice soft lobe flanks like a solid does. The bottom line is this sux. Those lifters only made it 15 miles or so.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

That one lifter likely isn't collapsed, it probably never got the chance to pump up. I've had to goof with a few setups to get the lifter to fill with oil.. Heck, I had one stubborn stock lifter, that only filled by backing off the rocker bolt and starting the motor. I revved it up to ~2500 a few times, and it finally filled. Torqued the rocker back down and it's been fine since.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check to make sure the pushrod is not hitting where it goes through the head. ive seen on t&d rockers where this is the case. ive also seen comp r lifters not pump up because of this. try installing some stock rockers and see if it pumps up.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I clearenced the shiot out of the heads for that but thanks for the suggestion. I will surely double check.

The thing is is that the lifter is just stuck collapsed, even with no load. I mean to the point of I would have to get a longer pushrod to even reach the rocker arm. Shouldn't the spring in the lifter under the pushrod cup cause it to decompress when there is no load on it?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it should extend with no weight on it -- that definitely makes a difference
Old 04-28-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well, I just got off the phone with comp and they are going to warranty it. The only thing is hopefully the lifter did not spew its guts into my motor. If it did oh well.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had a hydraulic lifter come apart in my motor (mopar big-block). I spent hours searching for every piece, including three broken pieces of the retainer. Took that friggin hydraulic cam out and put in a solid cam
Old 04-28-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, I hope that is not the case with my motor. Like I said I may end up with solid lifters on this cam depending upon what I find.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have any questions or concerns about what you are thinking please give me a call. 1-800-365-9145 ext. 558

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
If you have any questions or concerns about what you are thinking please give me a call. 1-800-365-9145 ext. 558

Thanks,
Brian
Thanks man, I may do that.