Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems Clutch/Transmission need solutions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems Clutch/Transmission need solutions

First, I'm already thinking it's a slave issue can't be all to sure because I don't know much about transmission type things. Anyway,

Story:

Headers were put on. Car drove fine after install of headers. Next day drove 17 miles with open headers to have y-pipe welded on. Drove home fine after the y-pipe install. Drove around town, tranny locks up won't shift into gear and there is no pressure on the clutch. Clutch isn't working. Can get car to move by shifting car into desired gear while engine off, starting car and getting on gas.

Symptoms:

Hydraulic fluid was dry in the clutch filler upper. After jacking car up and putting more fluid in it's evident that it's leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing and from around the slave cylinder line that goes into the transmission driver side. That bad boy is also sitting in there pretty loosely and I was unaware if it was supposed to be like that Quite possibly somewhere from top, couldn't tell. In summation I have a hydraulic fluid leak dealing with the clutch that is causing the clutch to not work properly.

Solutions:

I'll leave that up to you guys. Any info is appreciated as I'd like to get 'er back up and running.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 04-29-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Ahhh yes!!! I have it!! Maybe it's the influx discombobulator!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have damaged the line on your prior install. I think you have to pull the trans, swap the slave, re-install trans and bleed bleed bleed.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

No diagnosis but FYI heat from the headers can cook the fluid in the line between the master & slave. Since you did the header install check to see if the hyd line is close to the headers, reposition the line & use cable ties to secure as far from the header pipes as possible. Might fix a future problem. You might check to see if the bleeder isn't tight. It's located in the area of the leak & when bleeding a clutch fluid will drip from the bellhousing.

Last edited by Mark98SS; 04-29-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Hey thanks for your replies guys. I've gotten the issue fixed and I couldn't be more ecstatic to have my baby up and running again. Just in case you care or this could help someone in the future...

Bought a new '01 - '02 slave cylinder, dropped the tranny and installed. Reassembled everything, still nothing. Bled the the entire system through the slave cylinder and still unable to get pressure to clutch. Pulled master cylinder, drill mod, bench bled, reinstalled master assembly. Still nothing. Bled entire system through the slave cylinder once more and waaa laaa she's moving and fully operational again.

So in summation, if your clutch takes a dump on you and you lose clutch pedal pressure and cannot get into gears, you have fluid leaking from the bottom of your bellhousing. Most more than likely you're dealing with a slave cylinder. So replace it, pull the master, do the drill mod, bench bleed the master, bleed entire system and you should be in business. At least it worked for me.

Justin