Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fluid???????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fluid???????????

I want to change out the fluid in my m6. I order some redline d4 atf. Is that good or no?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:43 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM Synchromesh.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

If you have the carbon synchros, there's no reason to run anything other than ~Mobil 1 ATF.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

the guy at the dealership told me GM synchromesh didn't come stock in my car so he wouldn't recomend it. there is no way putting it in my trans is gonna hurt anything is there? i allways heard it was a good fluid for our t-56's.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
the guy at the dealership told me GM synchromesh didn't come stock in my car so he wouldn't recomend it. there is no way putting it in my trans is gonna hurt anything is there? i allways heard it was a good fluid for our t-56's.
i install syncro-mesh in all our transmissions. rockland standard gear recommends it. better for the linings on the syncros. also trans runs cooler. i have a transmission cooler and temp gauge installed on mine. we were peggin the gauge with a.t.f. after we installed the syncro-mesh,no more heat problems....and no more 3-4 shifting problems either! COOL!! now i dont have to recondition trans every 4 or 5 sessions!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:18 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Tremec recommends Synchromesh too. When I put a 3550 in my Mustang, they said they wouldn't warranty it unless I ran Synchromesh.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

I used Royal Purple sycromax, havent had a problem yet and tranny seems to go into gear smoother
Old 05-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98t56TA
If you have the carbon synchros, there's no reason to run anything other than ~Mobil 1 ATF.
Let me elaborate right here on the benefits of synthetic ATF fluid. This applied to carbon-lines synchros only (!). If you have standard paper synchros the benefits or disadvantes to running synthetic are undocumented and not recommended.

The T56 is stamped with a sticker 'Dexron III ATF only' (see pic below). However this is not necessarily claiming synthetic. Similar to the synthetic motor oil debate, there are pros and cons that factor in to the decision. Usually, the con is price, as synthetic motor oil runs at least double what is required for regular mineral motor oil.

This can add up fast! However, trans fluid need only be replaced once a year (on my super aggressive why the hell not schedule), or even longer inbetween for normal daily driving, and requires four quarts. So, the price difference is negligible. Now, the properties of synthetic fluid allow it to maintain a contant viscosity regardless of temperature. This is a two pronged effect. First, during super cold starts the fluid is not thicker than it needs to be, and requires no time to warm up. Second, during sustained high speed the fluid maintains it viscous nature, and does not break down as carbon based oils tend to do. Therefore, at both ends of the spectrum there's little doubt synthetic fluid is stronger in all areas except price.

In conclusion, the lubrication consistancy of an oil such as Mobil 1 or Redline allows it to maintain a constant thickness regardless of temperature. I haven't even talked about shifting feel which is known to improve as a side effect of running synthetic ATF.

This is a pic of my sticker, sorry I don't have a 90 degree image:

Here is an excellent write of of 4th Gen maintenance projects:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm
Old 05-13-2005, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Just put Royal Purple in today, going to give it a shot!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Launching!

ok so here's a question. in a stock 02, which i'm assuming have paper ones, what should i use??
Old 10-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Teching In

I thought the stock 02's have carbon fiber.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont use Red line I made that mistake in my 00' and a few months later I was having my trans re built because the paper blocker rings were takin a crap......Im pretty sure the 01's and newer have carbon blocker rings

Quick Reply: Fluid???????????