Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking oil pan gasket, advice needed

Old 04-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking oil pan gasket, advice needed

I finally tracked down the source of the oil leak that has ruined my clutch. The oil pan gasket is leaking from the following three places.... drivers side, just behind the cross member.... drivers side, near oil filter.... and passenger side, just behind the cross member. The passenger side leak seems the worst as I can see air bubbles seeping out from the top of the gasket and the block interface. The oil pan has never been removed in the past. The oil is leaking out of the pan and is being blown into the bell housing and soaking the clutch.

I replaced the rear main seal and rear cover gasket twice assuming the oil leak was from the main seal. When the rear cover was off, I noticed a gray rubber seal at the rear of the oil pan sagging down into the pan. I could feel a ledge on the inside rear of the pan where it was supposed to seat. Is the part of the oil pan gasket and if so has it separated (torn) away? If not, is it a separate seal that has failed and need to be replaced?

I have read other posts that the pan gasket can be reused, if so.... what is the correct way to seal my leak? I must repair this leak before installing the new clutch.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get a new gasket and call it done. you could probly put some rtv on it for extra security. if you chang it you will have to drill out the 2 rivits holding it on the pan
Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Can the gasket be changed by dropping the pan and not removing it? Can the rivets be drilled out without removing the pan?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the rivits are in between the block and oil pan. I would pull it out because you are going to get metal shavings in your pan. It would also be a good time to clean all the leacky oil to see if you solved the problem.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Teching In

From what I understand is going to take lowering the cross member to get out. Oh well, if it was easy.... everyone would do it.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No I think you can do it without lowering the K-member. I haven't tried it, but others say you can unbolt the motor mounts and jack the motor up until it hits the floor pan, providing room to slide out the oil pan. I think the only place you can put the jack is under the crank balancer. Also, you probably would need to loosen the tranny mount, but not remove it. When you get the pan out, it would be a good opportunity to install a set of Katech rod bolts.

Maybe somebody that has actually done this will jump in here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking oil pan gasket, advice needed