Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What to do for rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default What to do for rear end?

Hello, i have an f-body coming. I will jsut be doing minor bolt ons and am looking into a 150 shot of nitrous. I will also be getting some shocks and new springs and tweak with the suspension for better traction. How will the stock rear end hold up if i put some sticky tires on it and take it to the track? How about just some regular street tires? Even if it will hold, is there a better choice than the stock rear end. I am not exactly sure what it has. I am getting either a 98-newer TA or z28 A4. WHat is the best choice of a rear end for handling around 400-500 HP with a nitrous shot and will help with better 1/4 times, etc. What is the most popular choice. Thanks a lot for all your help. I am a newbie and jsut asking questions to learn as much as possible. I usually catch on fast to all new stuff but please help me out. Thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search you will find alot of answers to the questions you are asking.

Anyways here goes....I guess it all depends in what you are going to do with the car. If it is going to be a daily driver, which I think it is in your case, you have to ask yourself : Do I want my car to be broken all of the time? Am I constantly going to go to the drag strip and use the nitrous? Am I going to be using slicks? I seen in another forum that you were asking about suspension uprgades, how much traction do you think you are going to be getting. With all of these questions asked and relizing you might have enough power to brake the stock 10 bolt, how much money do you want to spend if you can break it. Most people go with a 12 bolt rear or a Ford 9" made for our cars. Moser makes a good one. Those are form 2000-2500 bucks. You could also do a TA rearend girdle for your stock 10 bolt for a little less money.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hello, well yes it will be a daily driver. I never want it to be broken, well as little as possible considering i am young and dont want to have to constantly dump money into it. I wont go to the strip much but maybe once a once or so. I wont be spraying much, jsut at the strip and maybe a few times to show off to friends. I was thinking of jsut reg tires on some c5's for regular use but also putting some slicks on my stock rims for the drag strip. I like in MI so weather here, jsut never no. I am jsut wondering how the rear end will hold up with what i am going with. What i am planning to do in order.
Loudmouth exhaust, LS6 intake, ram air hood, other minor bolt ons, c5s, than go to a top of the line 150 shot nitrous set up. than some shocks and lowering springs and minor weight reduction, not sure where from there unless new gears gears would help too. I am very new t this and no very little so all input is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Teching In

About the best advice I can give you is be careful. Showing off in front of friends is ok but do it in the right spot. Don't do it on the road...you risk losing your car, your license, or even well we won't go there. 150 horse shot of nitrous is alot, it may not sound like it but it is. I have seen the wall at the 1000 foot mark on the strip with a 150 horse shot of nitrous. and I have paid the price by showing off for my friends, I have totaled a 95 trans am, I was about 20 foot in the air upside down in the tops of trees. I guess what I am trying to say is, play it smart and if you do decide to do all of this stuff to your car......keep it on the track, if your friends want to watch, take them with you.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok great advice. thanks, i am a very careful driver but do have a need for speed. Only thing i was thinking of using it for was maybe racing a few big headed mustang owners and ricers on this start of the highway only to like 100. I am very careful and cautious not to get a ticket. So for the track, what would you say, swap out gears for better speed or is that bad for a daily driver? Will the stock rear end hold? Also what for tires? I am going to do the C6's after seeing them o nnormal street tires for normal use, but am thionking of putting some tires o nthe stockers for the track. Any suggestions for tires or suspension or gears? All help is appreciated. Thanks for the advice and help.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

a stock rear in an auto may hold for a while on n20 but it is destined to give up.save up for a 12 bolt and a 3500 +stall also.a girdle will definitely help the 10 bolt,i'm sure that's how alot of them is broken because of deflection without one.